Matt Barlow returns to Iced Earth

Yeah, it's not like Jon fired Barlow, and now wants him back.
Barlow left on his own accord.
Obviously, Barlow is the fan favorite of all the IE vocalists.
It all makes sense, except for leaving Ripper out in the cold.
I am sure Ripper will continue, and do well, with his own projects.

I am with Bob. While I love IE overall, my interest in them has declined big time, esp after Framing Armageddon.

*inbeforepatewithilovethatalbum*

It seems like everyone differs in their fav IE albums.

For me, it's all about the Dark Saga and Something Wicked.

Same here, followed by The Glorious Burden.

I'm pretty excited by this news, but I do love Ripper's phase in Iced Earth just as much as I do the older stuff with Barlow.

I just wish we had a proper live album/DVD with Ripper.

For me it's Alive In Athens, sure it might not be compltely "Live" but it does have some killer versions of those old non-Barlow songs with him pwning the previous singers. It was also the first thing I ever heard from them.

I wonder if they'll now re-record the new album with Barlow, the way they re-did the Something Wicked trilogy with Ripper.

Or like Barlow did on Purgatory for the old songs.

Also, although I do feel for Ripper if this came out of left field...he should be used to it after Judas Priest. :p

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ripper leave his band Winters Bane high & dry right around a new release of theirs for Priest? If so, then what goes around comes around. ;)

And like booB said, he's got Beyond Fear & I think a couple other projects brewing at the same time anyway. I also remember talking to Jon when TG opened for Blind Guardian about what happened to Steve DiGiorgio & he said that SD left him high & dry because of all the projects he was involved with & couldn't devote enough time to IE.

So, until we hear what really happened from both sides, I don't feel too bad for Ripper as he could've had just as much to do with this as Jon did...and like Jason said...business is business & Jon jumped on the best opportunity he could for his band at this point in time.

I, for one, can't wait to see Barlow with IE again...my favs are Burnt Offerings, The Dark Saga & Something Wicked. :kickass:

I;m totally confused by Jon...When Matt left he said Ripper been the singer he always wanted/envisioned in Iced earth and now u hear him say Matts back to where he belongs etc......It just happen so fast..They just did ahighprofile tour with Heaven and hell and everything i read seem to make it everything was going great...I like both Matt and Ripper so either way its good but quite strange as well

Jon says a lot of things. Ever noticed how bands always say that their new album is the greatest thing they've ever done? Example: In Iron Maiden's Death on the road dvd Nicko says that Danc of death was the best Maiden record he's ever done. :loco::loco::loco:

WTF? Doesn't he remember ever playing on Piece of Mind: or Powerslave? :Smug:

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 18:04:10 EST

In a statement issued through SPV, ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer shines a little more light on the return of singer Matt Barlow:

It will be sometime before I’m going to be doing press due to the holidays and the fact that I’m still deep in the final writing process of Part 2. I’m aware that the news of Matt coming back into to the band has taken many people by surprise so I’ll try to explain the situation a little better.

I do love Tim’s ("Ripper" Owens - ex-JUDAS PRIEST) voice and it is the kind of voice I hear when I write, and he’s a really cool person. And I do not want an unnecessary war of words started because certain journalists like to create controversy to sell their magazines. I love Tim as a person, a friend and a musician, and I do not have negative feelings towards him at all. We would all appreciate it if the trash pedlars would respect the situation and keep their venomous speculations to themselves. An unlikely request I’m sure, but it would be nice.

On the other side, Matt and I are brothers and there was a very deep and spiritual connection that came through in the music that we created and performed together over the years. Iced Earth has always been about passion and honesty in the music, I’m talking about real, raw emotion. That’s what has always made the relationship between the band and the fans a very special thing and it is the thing that made the chemistry that Matt and I had together so special. When we split before, our relationship had suffered from various things, but mostly it came down to not communicating like we should have, which led to things being blown out of proportion. All of that is behind us and we have grown and matured and will have an even more fulfilling relationship because of what we’ve experienced and learned from the past.

Iced Earth activities will be more limited now because Matt will still be carrying on his career as a law enforcement officer. I would rather we do it this way and have the shows that happen be very special events than to carry on and feel like what’s happening isn’t genuine. This is NOT a cut on Tim. It’s just that Iced Earth really began to blossom after Matt joined the band and for years we worked our asses off together, on stage and off. Those years of work and commitment defined what Iced Earth truly is, and frankly I would rather end it than to carry on without Matt involved. All of this has been coming to a head for a while, and the talks with the fans in Europe helped cement what I already knew needed to happen.

I wish only the best for Tim, this is not a standard bullshit statement, it’s the truth. A guy with so much talent and personality only deserves the best in life and that’s what I wish for him completely."