It's official - MATT BARLOW REJOINS ICED EARTH!

How does giving the fans what they want equate to selling out?

Because he lowered himself to point of caving in to dollar figures instead of his creativity. l think it's obvious with his album sales comment...that he has decided to cash in. That equals sellout. BTW...all IE fans don't want Barlow back in. Maybe the majority do...the same majority that couldn't take the change & want the "same ole, same ole". Stale.

Because he lowered himself to point of caving in to dollar figures instead of his creativity. l think it's obvious with his album sales comment...that he has decided to cash in. That equals sellout. BTW...all IE fans don't want Barlow back in. Maybe the majority do...the same majority that couldn't take the change & want the "same ole, same ole". Stale.

Even though the Iced Earth albums that sold the most were the Owens fronted albums. Not to mention the fact that Jon today revealed that Iced Earth's activities would take a hit for this reunion to work. Sellout indeed.:rolleyes:

ICED EARTH activities will be more limited now because Matt will still be carrying on his career as a law enforcement officer. I would rather we do it this way and have the shows that happen be very special events than to carry on and feel like what's happening isn't genuine. This is NOT a cut on Tim. It's just that ICED EARTH really began to blossom after Matt joined the band and for years we worked our asses off together, on stage and off.

Instead of whining, perhaps just admit the fact that your biased opinion is clouding your judgment and be done with it? :D

Also, even though I like Tim ALOT (my overall favorite Iced Earth album is TGB), he's delivered some god-awful performances. When The Eagle Cries is a glowing example.

Also, how can he be selling out, when he admits touring will be limited due to Matt being a cop? And, I agree to the point of how could Jon be selling out when he's giving the majority of the fans what THEY want? Sales? Who do you know that gets into a business to lose or not make money?

my god, who gives a crap?

barlow is back, and they are going to make music, who cares about them selling out or what ever?! if we are going to get some quality music in our hands, then okay, thats what it boils down to. if barlow and schaffer put out a new bad ass album are people gonna be whining about em selling out? i sure hope not.

I think this is actually a missed opportunity and in some regards a step backwards.

With Matt back in the band there is going to be limited touring.
Apparently Matt will still be doing work for Pyramaze (unless I missed something).
Tim will be doing his own thing and....oh hell, I forgot the other bands name....duh.

With that, and the fact that both Tim and Matt are amazing vocalists that bring a different emotional landscape to Iced Earths music....why limit the continued growth of the music to just one of them?

I really think Jon has missed taking Iced Earth to yet another level.

"ICED EARTH really began to blossom after Matt joined the band and for years we worked our asses off together, on stage and off. Those years of work and commitment defined what ICED EARTH truly is, and frankly I would rather end it than to carry on without Matt involved."

Jon is an arrogant dickweed...I hope it all collapses on him

Spent over an hour on the phone with Jon today, and was very surprised to find out that...

http://www.icedearth.com

Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth’s history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn’t act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn’t seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt’s presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I’m a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn’t be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt’s family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We’ll be in touch very soon with more details.

Jon Schaffer
YES!:worship:rock::kickass:

"ICED EARTH really began to blossom after Matt joined the band and for years we worked our asses off together, on stage and off. Those years of work and commitment defined what ICED EARTH truly is, and frankly I would rather end it than to carry on without Matt involved."

Jon is an arrogant dickweed...I hope it all collapses on him
How is this arrogant? He's right in what he's saying. He feels Matt is the true man for the job and would end it rather than carry on without Matt. That sounds like loyalty to a friend he missed very badly and he's happy as all hell to have him back. How in the fucking hell is this arrogant?

It's the same thing he said about Ripper. :rolleyes:

Uhhh... no it wasn't. He said that Ripper's style was what he always imagined in Iced Earth and he still admits that today.

I do love Tim's voice and it is the kind of voice I hear when I write, and he's a really cool person. And I do not want an unnecessary war of words started because certain journalists like to create controversy to sell their magazines. I love Tim as a person, a friend and a musician, and I do not have negative feelings towards him at all. We would all appreciate it if the trash pedlars would respect the situation and keep their venomous speculations to themselves. An unlikely request I'm sure, but it would be nice. On the other side, Matt and I are brothers and there was a very deep and spiritual connection that came through in the music that we created and performed together over the years.

That sounds like loyalty to a friend he missed very badly and he's happy as all hell to have him back. How in the fucking hell is this arrogant?
Right, and if he didn't care two shits about Tim, why would he bother releasing another statement clarifying things. Many people just naturally think Shaffer is an ass, and anything he says won't change that.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/79649

I'd probably believe the whole "passion" spiel if he didn't start the announcement post talking about how it was him talking to the fans that basically got this whole thing going. And for being so close, why the second hand knowledge about Matt being back in the business?

If this is the case...and it holds any importance to Jon's creativity...why isn't Tim still in the band? :Smug:

That's a good question. However an even bigger question is why would he ask Tim to leave when the band was more popular/sold more albums with Tim fronting the band? Further, why would Jon want to hire Matt knowing that touring would be sacrificed? Your "sellout" accusations are total bull.

Right, and if he didn't care two shits about Tim, why would he bother releasing another statement clarifying things. Many people just naturally think Shaffer is an ass, and anything he says won't change that.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/79649
I find it baffling that people would think someone's an ass who gave the fans their wish, never went trendy, believes in his musical vision almost to a fault, and is accepting limited touring and other sacrifices. Jon knows what he wants. So fucking what? Good for him that he has the where-with-all to able to try to achieve what he wishes!