It's official - MATT BARLOW REJOINS ICED EARTH!

i just think it has to do with how well Tim fit on the glorious burden, that stuff was really perfect for tim.

but the fantasy type iced earth stuff, i dont think tim is such a good fit, it feels forced, but everyone else seems to think the new cd is fucking magical, so i guess my opinion is biased or something.

I agree, Barlow's voice is a much better fit. I think the most recent album was very good and Ripper's voice fit much better on it than on Glorious Burden, which did sound awkward and forced to me. On the new album, Ripper got out of Judas Priest mode finally and pulled off a pretty unique performance. I can't say that if the album had Barlow on it instead that it would necessarily be better, either.

I don't know, I guess this is a positive development, but Schaffer just seems like a guy who doesn't really know what he wants at this point. Regardless of how he wants to spin it, it also appears on its face like this is probably a result of Framing Armageddon not selling as well as he expected it to.

While it's great frigging excellent news, the sceptic in me thinks, "Hmmm, so the fans determine the direction of the music, not the mastermind?" Ok, ok, I'm an A-hole, but Ripper added a new element; not appreciated by all but it was cool. Now we go back. Maybe it'll rock; maybe it'll be something that tries to achieve the past and falls woefully short due to an effort to resurrect the past. Yea, I'm annoying, but I hate to see fans dictacte inspiration. Call me an a-hole, but I can't help but be skeptical.

What do you think about Mathias Blad rejoining Falconer? Seems to be a VERY similar situation to me (sales just were not there with the replacement).

THis is FANTASTIC NEWS!! I am really hoping for an Iced Earth headliner slot for PP next year!!

3 things after digesting the news a bit more:

1. Good! Now Jon can write the same booring riffs that were custom taylored to Matts singing style, which he refused to re-write or re-invent for Tim Owens, who sounded woefully out of place in Iced Earth.
2. I can't help but wonder if this was going to be one of those "OMFG HOLY SHIT GLENN IS AMAZING" announcements for the headliners, and Jon just kind of prematurely ejaculated this news all over the medias face.
3. I guess this gives me one more reason to try out the "new" next Iced Earth cd, again, in contrast with my last post. I guess I'd like to see them live, as they could be a band like Symphony X for me, booring on CD and face crushing live. We'll see what the cards hold tho.

What do you think about Mathias Blad rejoining Falconer? Seems to be a VERY similar situation to me (sales just were not there with the replacement).
Too true. This is indeed similiar. Don't get me wrong, I hope this works out to be awesome, I just got an odd feeling reading that press release. I hope that feeling's wrong and this turns out to be a better and even more innovative collaboration.

This is wonderful news. There is no way to convey in words how cool this is, so I'll have to quote Harry Knowles review of the Speed Racer trailer which comes close.

"I predict that there will be two reactions to this trailer. There's mine... which is HOLY FUCKING AWESOME DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE COATED PUSSY JUICE..."

Yeah, Falconer is obviously the most prominent example of something like this, but I recall hearing that a couple of other, lesser known bands might have done something similar in the past. I don't really remember anymore, but I think their names were something like Iron Priest, or Judas Maiden, or something close to that. I don't know. I only remember that much because there were one or two fanboys going nuts at Blabbermouth when those news releases were posted.

Neil

Yeah, Falconer is obviously the most prominent example of something like this, but I recall hearing that a couple of other, lesser known bands might have done something similar in the past. I don't really remember anymore, but I think their names were something like Iron Priest, or Judas Maiden, or something close to that. I don't know. I only remember that much because there were one or two fanboys going nuts at Blabbermouth when those news releases were posted.

Neil

HA!:heh:

They could have tried a two-singer approach... something...

I think this is a great idea. Each singer has a different style, and maybe that would stir Jon's creative juices in terms of flexible songwriting.

I'm not excited enough about this to use capital letters. My main thoughts are (1) live performance of older material might go better now, but (2) how long will this actually last?, and (3) Matt's presence does not necessarily equate to a better result on new material. After all, who sang on Horror Show?

Ken

3 things after digesting the news a bit more:

1. Good! Now Jon can write the same booring riffs that were custom taylored to Matts singing style, which he refused to re-write or re-invent for Tim Owens, who sounded woefully out of place in Iced Earth.
2. I can't help but wonder if this was going to be one of those "OMFG HOLY SHIT GLENN IS AMAZING" announcements for the headliners, and Jon just kind of prematurely ejaculated this news all over the medias face.
3. I guess this gives me one more reason to try out the "new" next Iced Earth cd, again, in contrast with my last post. I guess I'd like to see them live, as they could be a band like Symphony X for me, booring on CD and face crushing live. We'll see what the cards hold tho.

4. Pat needs to grow a pair and start enjoying Symphony X, Iced Earth and Kamelot (you fairy)

Said this in another thread.

Tim Owens is metal as fuck. He's the only person I could currently see to sing in Iced Earth as Barlow's replacement.

But BARLOW IS THE VOICE OF PURE EVIL. There is no one else on the earth that invokes as much rage and power and devil horns as Matt can. I don't hear any other vocalists out there that have Barlow's impressively evil growl, yet can screech with pain and torment like he does. Example... Path That I Choose. In the same concert, he can growl like Satan's Indigestion, and then scream that ending to Path like a banshee.

I sincerely hope that Tim is taking this well. As a fan of Iced Earth, I want Barlow. As a fan of Metal, I want Ripper to kick all kinds of ass in whatever he does. Beyond Fear is a bitchin' side project, and it'd be cool to see that become his prime focus. I can also think of plenty bands he SHOULD join, to up the ante for world conquest. But I certainly hope that people can respect Owens as a vocalist, cuz he's top notch in talent skill and ability.

My thoughts on Barlow leaving IE in the first place...

Long ago, he stated how the events of 9/11 affected his outlook on life. His goals in life. His priorities, his inspirations. He wanted to serve his country and do good for his community when it needed it. That's a noble and admirable gesture and intention. He placed his life in danger, any time he put on his badge and patrolled the streets. How many metal fans do YOU see giving up their music to become a servant? A true Slave to the Dark?

Barlow is a braver person than I. I commend him for following his heart, and doing what he felt was truly the right thing. Not everyone is cut out for the Navy SEALS, or the Airborne Rangers, or a sniper, or a grunt, or a police officer, or even a fire fighter. Perhaps, if I may do some WILD speculations here.... he wasn't cut out to be a police officer. Maybe, he did it, and realized it still wasn't right for him, as noble a profession as it is. I can honestly relate with this idea. I think about it in my career as well. Am I really a desk jockey engineer? Am I really a bassist, a vocalist?

Another thought.... perhaps Barlow missed the music too much to ignore any longer?

I don't expect Iced Earth to get rich now, with this reunion bringing infinite fame and fortune and success. I never expected Iced Earth to gain popularity like it did after Alive In Athens. But I certainly do expect the fans to be flying out of the woodwork when they start their next tour. And I hope that lets the band at least make a living off of music.

Cuz that would be a good thing.

it also appears on its face like this is probably a result of Framing Armageddon not selling as well as he expected it to.
How is it selling compared to the last couple albums?

Nice to hear that Matt is still on with Pyramaze...that won't be a problem schedule-wise as they don't tour much...not sure about how his job issues will factor in...seems like IE will want to tour quite a bit in the coming years (if Jon's back holds up). Regardless, one of my fave vocalists is singing for two of my fave bands...holy fuckin win!

As for Tim, I'm wondering if perhaps he was thinking of leaving anyway...he's got his own thing in Beyond Fear (which is some quality stuff...could use some refinement, but that'll come)...and now I hear he's doing something with his old band Winter's Bane. I imagine it was an amiable/mutual split for both sides, but we'll see.

2) GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! I like Ripper, and Gettysburg is one of the finest pieces of music I've heard, but Barlow makes Iced Earth unique. I'm looking forward to hearing him sing 'Dracula' live at PP X!

HELL YES! Dracula!!!

I honestly saw it coming, have seen it coming for quite awhile - a little bit of time after Barlow was announced as the new vocalist for Pyramaze. I figured if he was coming back into music, he'd be with Iced Earth soon. Though I think, now, the Something Wicked 1 & 2 just won't flow as well. No doubt, Barlow is an amazing vocalist and fits IE's music perfectly, but I figured after Revelation Abomination (assuming that's still the name of it) comes out, we'd be able to listen to both albums and hear one consecutive piece split over two discs, since it is all the same story.

It just won't seem as consistent, considering Owens and Barlow both have fairly different styles.

Obviously, this is GREAT news and I'm thrilled, but I hope Owens continues to do something kickass.