It's official - MATT BARLOW REJOINS ICED EARTH!

Damn my while writting my last post my question was already answered, i still think Ripper should take over Pyramze...

Though I prefer Iced Earth with Barlow, I thought that Ripper was a worthy replacement (much like he was in Priest). This makes the second time that Ripper fronts a well-established band only to be replaced by the singer he originally replaced! I think it says a lot for Ripper's ability if he can only be replaced by the guys he replaces, as opposed to some other shmoe. Now I can hope for more material from Beyond Fear!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

holy cocksicles.

Ok - this is by far my favorite post here EVER... I spit tea all over my monitor... Dell thanks you...

Oh yeah and woo hoo about Barlow being back - but I am a Ripper girl at heart... GB was my intro to IE... Not discounting by any means earlier IE stuff, I own it, but GB is just IT for me as far as IE goes...

(enough abbreviations for ya?? ;p )

Interesting news. Tim was great in the band. What about Pyramaze? If Matt is still in Pyramaze is he doing double duty?? Tim will kick ass in any band he is in. Just sad I did not get to see him tour with new IE cd.

For me, this is weird news. Granted, I'd given up years ago on the hope that Iced Earth might finally put together a stable lineup... Iced Earth is and always will be Jon Schaffer, plus whoever he decides to surround himself with at any given time. Now, I accept that, and I'm fine with it, since Schaffer is still one of the greatest songwriters and rhythm guitarists I've ever heard. But when Barlow left Iced Earth, I was certainly disappointed... Iced Earth was one of the 2 bands that got me into the whole underground metal scene back in 1996, and I enjoyed Barlow's vocals a lot right from the first time I heard him. But while disappointed, I was also pleased... for one, Tim Owens is a great vocalist in his own right (as well as a songwriter, which Barlow, by his own admission, is not), and secondly, given the reasons Barlow stated for leaving at the time, it seemed like he really did not want to be there anymore.

So the question is, what changed? Sure, I will enjoy listening to Barlow's vocals, both on the album and live, but I enjoyed Owens a lot too, and to me it's Iced Earth either way, given that Schaffer is still the force behind it. So, it seems a bit strange to see this announcement of Barlow's return, with no mention of the reasons that caused him to leave to begin with. I can understand that fans Schaffer talked to might have wanted to see Barlow return. And I can understand that Schaffer himself may have missed Barlow's presence. But what about the statements Barlow has made saying he was no longer into it, and wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement? What about not wanting to have to devote so much time to something that was not providing enough money to support a family on?

None of these questions really came up for me when I heard that Barlow was joining Pyramaze. It was stated at the time that Pyramaze was not interested in going on extensive, months-long tours, or maintaining a grueling schedule... but simply recording an occasional album, and doing an occasional festival appearance or something. OK. That appeared to mean that Barlow would be able to get back into metal, but only on a limited basis, and still have enough time to be able to do the other things he wanted to do in life.

So what's the situation now? Is Barlow going to maintain his law enforcement career? Is he again 100% into being in Iced Earth, the way he said he was not back when he left in 2003? Is he now OK with the heavier touring schedule that comes along with being a member of Iced Earth? Or should one take this to mean that Iced Earth is not going to be touring as heavily as they have previously? After all, Schaffer is no spring chicken at this point, and he does have those back and neck problems... so maybe that's a possibility?

I suppose time will tell the answers to these questions... as well as whether Barlow's return is a long-term proposition, or mainly just for the forthcoming album and tour. Also, whereas a major lineup change might be more problematic for some bands, lineup stability is hardly something that Iced Earth has built a career upon anyway, so I'd imagine this latest change should go fairly smoothly. I'm sure when the next album is released or the next time they are on tour, this will come up in an interview, so it will be interesting to hear what they say about it.

I
Tim does have better range than Barlow. Nobody's debating that. But Barlow has 10x the emotion that Ripper will ever have.

ive got to disagree...

listen to track 3 on the gettysburg disc, where it gets all epic, and tim starts singing "were almost there my boys, ive never sung in fire" or something like that

honestly if you can say tim doesnt have much emotion after that, i cant take you serious.

this is a rejoice for matt thread, not a bash tim thread. tim is frickin brilliant i get tired of seeing him take heat just cause hes a different singer entirely than barlow was.

how ever i do agree that i dont give a shit what the band really does, if the final product kicks ass, thats fine with me! i dont care if one band member does all the work and the rest sit on their asses, if the cd kicks ass then im digging it. megadeth is one of my favorite groups and at one time was my fav group; its well known that mustaine is an asshole but does it really amount to much? the music kicks ass, their shows kick ass (well im assuming, ive never seen megadeth live :( ) so who cares? i like your points, but please give tim some respect, the guy is a killer vocalist.

listen to track 3 on the gettysburg disc, where it gets all epic, and tim starts singing "were almost there my boys, ive never sung in fire" or something like that

"I've never sung in fire"? LOL. I don't know if I've ever read the actual lyric sheet, but I think I can safely say it's "I've never served with finer"! :)

i get tired of seeing him take heat just cause hes a different singer entirely than barlow was.

Agreed.

ive got to disagree...

honestly if you can say tim doesnt have much emotion after that, i cant take you serious.

this is a rejoice for matt thread, not a bash tim thread. tim is frickin brilliant i get tired of seeing him take heat just cause hes a different singer entirely than barlow was.

how ever i do agree that i dont give a shit what the band really does, if the final product kicks ass, thats fine with me! i dont care if one band member does all the work and the rest sit on their asses, if the cd kicks ass then im digging it. megadeth is one of my favorite groups and at one time was my fav group; its well known that mustaine is an asshole but does it really amount to much? the music kicks ass, their shows kick ass (well im assuming, ive never seen megadeth live :( ) so who cares? i like your points, but please give tim some respect, the guy is a killer vocalist.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tim's vocals. He is good at what he does. I just happen to think that Barlow is much, much more emotional in his delivery. Bashing Tim wasn't my intention at all.

"I've never sung in fire"? LOL. I don't know if I've ever read the actual lyric sheet, but I think I can safely say it's "I've never served with finer"! :)

dude i suck horribly at understanding lyrics and i never read the lyric sheet so forgive me, not the first time ive done it and certainly not the last haha!

but thanks for correcting me

I knelled down and folded my hands at bedside and asked god for this to happen. He then said "Alright I will rejoin.":saint: