It's official - MATT BARLOW REJOINS ICED EARTH!

You know, IE has never been one of my favorite bands. I like them, but they've never been a huge thing to me, so i don't really have a dog in this race. I like Barlow's voice, especially on the last couple of albums he did. I think he's unique in this kind of metal because his voice can be gruff, melodic, and has a different, I dunno, timbre than most metal singers. I like Barlow, and while Ripper is a great metal vocalist, Barlow is a better fit here.

But Schaffer...Schaffer is really out there, in my opinion. When Barlow left, it was because he said he wanted to do other things with his life and that he couldn't make a living in IE. Jon put out statements both praising Barlow for going to be a cop and also kind of implying Barlow lacked dedication to music and didn't deserve any more money than he got, or at least that's how I fuzzily remember it. Then Jon brings Ripper on board saying that its how he always wanted IE to sound...I remember that exact sort of statement around the time The Glorious Burden came out.

Now, Jon says Iced Earth isn't Iced Earth without Barlow. The man is inconstant. If I were Matt, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket!

This is by far the best news I've had in a long, long time. This is just as big as the Riverside playing ProgPower for me!!!!

ICED EARTH FOR PROGPOWER!!!

This is HUGE news!

IE has always been too expensive for Glenn to book in the past....who knows, maybe this will be the year? The timing -- not too long now before Glenn's planned headliner announcements -- is uncanny. :kickass:

You know, IE has never been one of my favorite bands. I like them, but they've never been a huge thing to me, so i don't really have a dog in this race. I like Barlow's voice, especially on the last couple of albums he did. I think he's unique in this kind of metal because his voice can be gruff, melodic, and has a different, I dunno, timbre than most metal singers. I like Barlow, and while Ripper is a great metal vocalist, Barlow is a better fit here.

But Schaffer...Schaffer is really out there, in my opinion. When Barlow left, it was because he said he wanted to do other things with his life and that he couldn't make a living in IE. Jon put out statements both praising Barlow for going to be a cop and also kind of implying Barlow lacked dedication to music and didn't deserve any more money than he got, or at least that's how I fuzzily remember it. Then Jon brings Ripper on board saying that its how he always wanted IE to sound...I remember that exact sort of statement around the time The Glorious Burden came out.

Now, Jon says Iced Earth isn't Iced Earth without Barlow. The man is inconstant. If I were Matt, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket!

i just think it has to do with how well Tim fit on the glorious burden, that stuff was really perfect for tim.

but the fantasy type iced earth stuff, i dont think tim is such a good fit, it feels forced, but everyone else seems to think the new cd is fucking magical, so i guess my opinion is biased or something.

I am glad Matt is still going to do the vocals for Pyramaze.

I like both Matt and Tim and although I prefer Matt as their vocalist, I think the timing of this being between both of the cds Jon supposedly always looked forward to making seems bad.

The only way Jon Schaffer could ever impress me again is if he re-hired John Greely....along with Randy Shawver, Dave Abell and Richey Secchiari hehe.

While it's great frigging excellent news, the sceptic in me thinks, "Hmmm, so the fans determine the direction of the music, not the mastermind?" Ok, ok, I'm an A-hole, but Ripper added a new element; not appreciated by all but it was cool. Now we go back. Maybe it'll rock; maybe it'll be something that tries to achieve the past and falls woefully short due to an effort to resurrect the past. Yea, I'm annoying, but I hate to see fans dictacte inspiration. Call me an a-hole, but I can't help but be skeptical.

I'm absolutely stunned right now. I really didn't think there was a chance in hell Matt would ever come back to IE...simply WOW. This reminds me of how surreal I felt when hearing Matt was joining Pyramaze (glad he's still on with them). This is definitely a strange moment...to do this in between an epic double album. Then again, Matt sung on the original trilogy, so I guess it's fitting that us fans get to hear him sing on one of the albums. Well, as if my anticipation for hearing Part II weren't high enough, now it's in the stratosphere!

I just wonder how Tim feels right now...would like to have been a fly on the wall where Jon discussed this with Tim. At least he's got his own band, Beyond Fear...he'll do fine.

Who said Ripper had a better range???
Or who-ever dared saying he has more power???
I think a lot of them need to learn more about singing techniques....

I hated all those people who said that stuff after Matt left. He has always given fans so much, especially on the live performances!! If a singer is able to deliver on stage, what he does on the album than I have great respect for him!!!!

I had some samples of a live performance of Rip with IE :puke:
And the remake of the something wicked trilogy :puke: :puke:
I only liked some of the glorious burden songs (reckoning was good)

Anyway I was happy to see Barlow back in a band (Pyramaze), it's strange to see him return to IE...but still happy to hear more of him.

Rip will find his way...I liked him with Priest and also on beyond fear and with a band 'of his own' he will do some great things!
I even feel a bit sorry for him how it all went with IE.