ICONOCLAST SALES

metalxmetalx

May 6, 2011
From Blabbermouth:
"Iconoclast", the ninth studio album from North America's progressive metal masterminds SYMPHONY X, sold more than 7,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 76 on The Billboard 200 chart.
SYMPHONY X's previous CD, "Paradise Lost", opened with around 6,500 copies back in July 2007.

This is pathetic! 17 years on the road and these guys still haven't gotten the recognition they deserve!:fu:

recognition is overrated. I wonder how long itll take for someone to mention the Rock Hall of Fame and Rush not being in it, oh wait.

do you really care what other people think about bands you like?

No, I don't! But I DO care if they haven't released a DVD yet because they haven't sold hundreds of thousands of albums and thus failed to attract enough attention from record labels. Besides, it's a question of justice: a lot of crap 'metal' sells a lot more.

Well, it sold more than Paradise Lost. That's all they could have hoped for. Sales are also way down since 2007. How many bands suddenly get popular with their 9th album? I can't see what more you could reasonably expect.

Touring will help alot. What will also help them a ton is if they can find a way onto another big tour behind a bigger named band much like they did in Gigantour with Megadeth and Dream Theater. That's where I first heard the band and here I am today as they are still my favorite band. Even a band that is far less or more talented headlining would help them as long as they can join in for a leg or two. Maybe another Dream Theater tour, hell even a group like Mastodon or Alice in Chains. Completely different types of music but people in those types of audiences would at least give em a chance I think. There's just not enough promotion for their album as their should have been. I don't know much about marketing but I would think it'd be better to spend more on promotion and marketing for the band to get the record out there as opposed to spending on touring costs and whatnot. I know they talked about doing less shows with a bigger production in an interview but how much good will that do if not enough people know about them or their new album?

Well, it sold more than Paradise Lost. That's all they could have hoped for. Sales are also way down since 2007. How many bands suddenly get popular with their 9th album? I can't see what more you could reasonably expect.

Yeah, with album sales in deep decline since the 90s, it's a good accomplishment from a band to sell more than ever on the first week with their 9th album. 7,000+ in the U.S is pretty good for a band like Symphony X, I'd say. Especially considering that it's not really at all their biggest market area.

No, I don't! But I DO care if they haven't released a DVD yet because they haven't sold hundreds of thousands of albums and thus failed to attract enough attention from record labels. Besides, it's a question of justice: a lot of crap 'metal' sells a lot more.
Crap sells more, sure. It's easy to package junk in a consumable format for the masses.

I think where you're going with "justice" is related to what I wrote: you care what those masses think, at the least, the ones who like metal.

As for making a DVD, it's the simplest thing to do. Pay someone to film some concert footage. The hard part is duplication, packaging, and distribution, and that's not all that hard either. Maybe 5, 10 years ago, there were significant hurdles. Some bands (for example Marillion) can turn out a DVD in under a week if they want to, and have done. Others stream shows live and sell the recording at the end of the gig on burned discs, or online after post-processing a month or two later. To not have any video material at all is just a decision-point, really. You decide "no, we won't do that" or "yes, we will do that" and proceed. If low album sales are a concern to the band, that may be fueling the decision.

Michael Romeo has also said many times that if they do a DVD, he wants it to be something more than just a regular show, so that's an another thing.

Michael Romeo has also said many times that if they do a DVD, he wants it to be something more than just a regular show, so that's an another thing.

And that's a good thing at this point. It would be shame to finally get a DVD after all these years and have it be with the current setlist.

you care what those masses think, at the least, the ones who like metal.

Well, many people like cherishing their secret favourite band when it's still underground novelty, but once it becomes more known, the same people turn their backs accusing it of having 'sold out' (an accusation already made against Symphony X in this forum).
In the case of Symphony X, I want them to be known by a much wider audience because in the end it signifies they will have more money to spend on bigger and better productions, live DVDs, etc...
How about a DVD with an orchestra and choir ?

How about a DVD with an orchestra and choir?

That would be awesome, but only if done right. I don't want to see PL and Iconoclast played in full with a choir and an orchestra while the band ignores all their previous work (which would obviously sound much better in this situation).

But that's just the problem - a choir and orchestra would really fit best over their more progressive, longer, less heavy stuff. And we all know the band would never play a show without playing the heavier stuff.

V (in its entirety) would be awesome with a choir and orchestra, but given that MJR and Russ aren't fans of that album (and since those two are clearly running the show now), I wouldn't expect it.

Would be an obvious choice to play divine wings and odyssey with and orchestra and choir. They can play whatever the shit they want afterwards, I don't care. Just play this two damn songs and I'd be ok with it.

I just heard some Iconoclast song on the GSTL (televised Korean Starcraft II tournament). :D
They've played Star One, Aryeon and similar bands before though.
EDIT: Woops, I thought this was the PR thread. Whatever all the threads blend together on this forum anyway.

I think they sold enough copies in USA,maybe more in europe,but I think that
the best thing to do for a band like them is touring and selling merchandise so
fans can get shirts or cd at the day of the gig for getting autographs.We all
know they can't sell as Theater or maiden even if sometimes their records are better,last month I saw Neal Morse in Italy ,they were expecting less crowd
and it went good ,not sold out like Transatlantic,but merchandise sold well
his new cd and book.Fantastic gig,now I'm waiting Sx in october nearby Milan

In order for SX to go further, it would certainly help to play larger, um, "nicer" venues. I've seen them every time they've come to the southeastern US and it's always been a hot, dirty venue with no seating and bathrooms you would never let your children use. I'd be willing to bet some folks won't come to see them because they are familiar with the ratty venues. A side note here; so hot at Tremont Music Hall in May, paramedics had to come get a lady who couldn't stand the overwhelming heat. How can a rocking band like SX do a show in those conditions? I guess they are used to it, but they were all soaked with sweat in five minutes. Horrible. THAT will help, better venues. I think PL would have sold many more copies had there not been so many people complaining that it was not as good as previous albums. Thank goodness I don't listen to reviews by others. PL has been my favorite since it released, but Iconoclast is going to give it a run for its money. I'm with MJR and RA, in that I like the heavier stuff. Sure I like V. With the exception of the first album (because RA wasn't there), I think ALL their albums are better than anyone else's in this genre. They continually reinvent their sound, but they still remain true to their past, and this album alludes to TIO and PL very obviously. We are all entitled to our opinions. I love whatever Symphony X does, I don't care about heavy or proggy or anything else. I will buy whatever they record and I will LOVE it. There is no other band out there like them. Yes, I've heard a lot of them, and still I say it. I will never complain about this album compared to that one, etc. That only hurts the band and their album sales. And if they don't make money, they can't make more albums. Not ragging anyone, so don't shoot me. Let's just bask in the glow of our new SX release, and hope it's not so long of a wait next time. Peace, out..............