Idol questions

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
First of all, when I was in Africa a South African guy told me that the South African Idol had been murdered. Is this correct?

I've never been much of an Idol fan, but watched some of the first round of American Idol when I was in Edinburgh in January. It was fucking hilarious actually, as some people seem to have no shame. I'm not interested in the singing comp, but enjoy watching freaks try out. Which leads me to my other question:

Do the same sorts of misguided loons audition for Australian Idol? Many of the American ones seem to have strong belief in their own ability, even if they're terrible, which leads to interesting television. I can't imagine that many Australians being that sure of their own strengths, unless they were actually good.

Dunno about South African Idol.

And yes, the freaks come out for Idol auditions here just as they do for anywhere else. I like the ones who are really, really shit but think they're God's gift the best.

The ones who just want to be on TV are generally just silly.

People need constructive criticism, not just "Hey, yeah, that was good" just because they're your friend or kid (or your friend's kid). As a critic, I have always tried to be constructive with my criticism, highlighting what I thought was good and pointing out what needs work. Unless it's completely shit, and then I say so. It saddens me that people with no talent at all are encouraged to try out for such a show. You would think that after so many seasons, contestants would know how good you have to be, but I guess that's like telling an anorexic to look in a mirror and see how skinny they are. What they see and what is real are two different things.

Yeah I agree. You wonder why parents tell their kids they're good when they're so obviously atrocious. It does them no good at all in the long run.

I couldn't find anything on the net re the South African one either, when I looked. The guy who told me must have been misinformed.

Did anyone see the Seattle auditions? In particular, the chubby kid in the red shirt who made friends with the little guy who looked like a monkey? I was almost in tears of laughter watching that.