If Only I Tried To See Him...

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I'm going to forever regret not seeing Dio. I was pretty sure a Rainbow reunion wasn't going to happen...Ritchie Blackmore has left heavy rock in his rearview mirror. But not to have seen the band Dio...and ESPECIALLY the reformed Heaven And Hell...is heartbreaking.

I love watching those old and new performances online but to have been there would've been truly a gift. Rest in peace, Metal King!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronnie. Ronnie. Ronnie. One of the great, 'runs,' in heavy history is everything he was part of from the first Rainbow through at LEAST The Last in Line, including the Sabbath stuff, of course.

I'm pleased to say I did see him, and 4 times at that. Once with Dio, and three times with H&H. He was excellent each time. When I saw them with Priest at Mt. View in the SF Bay Area, he came all the way out into the crowd, up the aisle...way back too. There are these weird runners on either side of the place, not designed for walking, but Ronnie ran up 'em...it was really just a slightly raised part right next to the stairs - only made him as tall as me! He was singing the whole time. I don't think people even realized what was going on, because there were only a few people around him. I HAD to shake his hand, and I'm glad to say I got to.

Ironically, I'd never attended a concert of his during his "classic era" but was fortunate to have seen him live four times since 2003 (once headling, once opening for Maiden, and twice with H&H).

The H&H gig (with Priest) was arguably the greatest concert I've ever attended. It was held at an outdoor theater on a cloudy, foggy, late August afternoon. That setting couldn't have been more appropriate for the dark, mystical music of Dio-era Sabbath. The band completelly owned that gig, topping the mighty Priest by a wide margin.

Long Live Dio.

I am regretful that I skipped out on going to see H&H on their last tour. I had seen H&H the previous year, and honestly wasn't blown away by the show.

One of the best shows I've ever been to was Dio solo on Magica tour, in a relatively small venue (maybe 800 people). I got there early and had a spot at the very front & center.

I saw Dio in 2000 supporting Alice Cooper... at the time I wasn't bothered about Dio at all but looking back I'm really glad I saw him. I remember his guitarist (Craig Goldie I think) doing one of the best solo spots I've ever seen...

I saw him in 2007 (one of H&H's first shows) primarily because of the reason of this post: I knew he was getting up there in age and wouldn't be around forever. And it was a fantastic show.

Overlord, shame you never got to see him, because he was an absolutely stunning frontman. The Live at Radio City DVD certainly does him and the band justice.

Saw him with his band in 2006, I was part of the staff of the promoter's organization but was unable to meet personally (even if I stood a couple of meters from him). Great show indeed.

Saw him 8 times. 3 of the 8 with Heaven & Hell.

DIO
11/5/1984 The Last In Line, w/Dokken, one of the most memorable concerts I've ever been to. VERY fortunate to go to this at the age of 16.
10/27/1985 Sacred Heart, w/Rough Cutt, Viv still on guitar
12/9/2000 Magica, this show was truly great
6/30/2002 opening for Scorpions and Deep Purple
7/30/2003 opening for Maiden

H&H
3/30/2007 Radio City
5/19/2007 NJ
9/14/2007 Tampa FL