If you had to mic up a 5-piece kit with my setup...

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
... how would you use the micpreamps and mics?

This is what you can use:

API 3124+ (4 channels)
Audient ASP008 ADAT (8 channels)
FMR Audio RNP (2 channels)
Fireface 800 (4 micpre's)

Mics:

2x Shure SM57
2x Audix D4
3x Audix D2
1x Audix D6
a pair Oktava Mk012
Rode NT5's
1x Shure SM7b
2x SM58
1x T.Bone SC450

I'm really curious what you're using the 4 channels of the API for and if the FF800 micpres get used at all :)

kick: D6-->API
snare top: 57--API
snare bot: SM7-->ASP8
OH's: oktavas--API
toms: D2's, D4-->ASP8
room: t-bone-->ASP8
then maybe use the NT5's for spot/cymbal mics

Lasse wrote he likes the SM7b on hi-hats. Wanted to try that. Maybe the NT5's for ride and china? And I was thinking about using the t-bone for rooms, too. Maybe I get another one for stereo rooms. I thought I would use the oktavas for overheads but going into the asp because it's so clean.

When using the API... do you want everything that goes in pretty hot?

Sorry, no help from me.. just wanted to say you've got a nice setup :)

+1

The audient is cleaner than the API I guess? Pretty hard choise man... do you want colloration or clean? I have no idea what I would choose... maybe do some test recordings to see what you like more?

+1

The audient is cleaner than the API I guess? Pretty hard choise man... do you want colloration or clean? I have no idea what I would choose... maybe do some test recordings to see what you like more?

In the end, that's what I will be doing. I'm just curios what others would do!

Dont use the api on the OH. Didnt worked for me.
The audient is absolutly fantastic for OH!!! Use for the the cymbals, hats, rides, china .... only the audient stuff.

API (hot) is fantastic for toms. You wont need to trigger them if the drumset is ok-sounding. The api will do the magic.
Audient is great for snare, because its very punchy but clean, but the api would give you more character.

What music is this?
If you will use the real kick track, use the api for it. ..

KD - D6 -> APIx1
SnrT - 57 -> APIx1
SnrB - 57 -> APIx1
Toms - D2/D4's -> ASP008x3
OH - NT5 or Oktava's -> ASP008x2
Hat - SM7b -> APIx1
Ride - NT5 or Oktava -> ASP008x1
China - NT5 or Oktava ->ASP008x1
Mono Room - T-Bone -> ASP008x1
Stereo room - 58's -> RNP

That said, if you find you don't need to spot mic the china (and I'd probably go this route anyways, if the snare was good), I'd stick the leftover NT5/Oktava from that onto the snare top with the 57.

If you'd be replacing the kick, I'd sample the kick with the D6 -> API chain, but then run it through the ASP008, and run the SnrT and tom mics through the API, swapping the hat over to the ASP008, as well.

I may take samples of the toms through the api and blend them together with the tom tracks from the audient. best of both worlds :)

Gabriel, this is more like a "what if" scenario. Next drumrecords will be in a month for my own band. Since I can offer real drums recordings all bands come in and ask for programmed drums because their drummers suck.

I may take samples of the toms through the api and blend them together with the tom tracks from the audient. best of both worlds :)

Gabriel, this is more like a "what if" scenario. Next drumrecords will be in a month for my own band. Since I can offer real drums recordings all bands come in and ask for programmed drums because their drummers suck.

HAHAHA realy?
Then buy a kick pad. Every drummer should play snare and toms with cymbals in tact?
should´nt they?

Oktavas for Overheads will for sure be using the API. The Mk012 sounds quite HIGH END when it is used with a high end preamp. I heard quite big difference when i bought my Crane Song spider vs Ocotpre LE

Oktavas for Overheads will for sure be using the API. The Mk012 sounds quite HIGH END when it is used with a high end preamp. I heard quite big difference when i bought my Crane Song spider vs Ocotpre LE

Thanks for your input. I will try it on both preamps, give it a listen and decide from there :)