Ihsahn - New Song "Hiber"

I'm not really sure what the hell Ihsahn is doing any more. I'm not sure he knows, either. This song had potential but went nowhere. He's trying too hard to be progressive. I'm sure there will be horrible saxophones all over this album yet again, ruining it for me. Can't say I'm excited about this.

I'm not really sure what the hell Ihsahn is doing any more. I'm not sure he knows, either. This song had potential but went nowhere. He's trying too hard to be progressive. I'm sure there will be horrible saxophones all over this album yet again, ruining it for me. Can't say I'm excited about this.

He's already confirmed there won't be any sax.

That being said, I though the sax on After was fantastic and fit the album perfectly.

Eremita bored me, but Hiber is definitely a step in the right direction.

I guarantee you that if there's anyone who knows exactly where he goes with his music, as unconventional as it sounds, is Ihsahn.

"horrible saxophones"... :rolleyes:

Rolling your eyes is hardly a response, and you might as well have kept it to yourself. If he had used the saxophones melodically, I might have enjoyed them, but to have them spazzing everywhere was terrible. On 'After' he didn't go too overboard with them, but on 'Eremita' they were awful, and ruined the album. I'm glad they won't be on this album, but still, that doesn't make this 'Hiber' song any better.

Rolling your eyes is hardly a response, and you might as well have kept it to yourself. If he had used the saxophones melodically, I might have enjoyed them, but to have them spazzing everywhere was terrible. On 'After' he didn't go too overboard with them, but on 'Eremita' they were awful, and ruined the album. I'm glad they won't be on this album, but still, that doesn't make this 'Hiber' song any better.

To your ears it sounds like spazzing, to others it might sound beautiful.

:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantraschism View Post

To your ears it sounds like spazzing, to others it might sound beautiful.

I agree. No need to go spastic over it Mantraschism. Lotta fans like Ihsahn, and he basically does what he wants to do. No need worrying about him getting stuck into some formula of boring songs. Looking forward to the rest of the new one. The label guy told me it will all be very progressive. Can't wait.

Sorry, but in what way am I going 'spastic' over it? I simply said I didn't like the saxophones or this song. I never questioned anyone else's taste over it, yet everyone's jumping all over me. I like Ihsahn quite a bit, or I wouldn't have bothered with this thread. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy everything he does. Chill out.

I'll definitely still pick this up, since it is Ihsahn, after all. I think everyone's got the wrong idea about that. I just hope it's a bit more like 'angL' overall, if not in style, then in quality. That album blew me away when it came out, and I already thought 'The Adversary' was damn good. 'After' was good, and sometimes brilliant, but I just don't like saxophones as a rule, especially when they're shredding and strident, as I found them to be most of the time. The slow, sad melodic lines were just fine though. 'Eremita' as a whole just left me a bit cold, although admittedly I need to listen to it again. I have endless respect for Ihsahn as a musician, but that doesn't mean I'm obliged to think everything he does is great... even though it usually is.