Ilium - Genetic Memory

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Amazing album! Mike sings like there's no tomorrow and the band is just absolutely on top notch form musically speaking. Wonderful riffs, free flowing melodies and scrumptious melodic solos that are pure ear candy. If these guys weren't Aussies (apart from Mike of course) they'd be household names in the power metal community. It's criminal how they aren't more well known. At the moment my top 10 for this year has about 30 albums in it but there's always room for one more. Welcome Ilium!

Check it all on youtube but here's one of the best and most melodic songs to start with:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review Justin and I agree with everything you say only I would give the album 9/10 myself. The final track Irrinja is completely unbelievably good right now. What a track that is. I would have gone close to a 10/10 if the choruses were a little bit more memorable but I'm happy enough.

Thumbs way up here as well. Mike sounds fantastic as usual.

I like Mike Dimeo's voice a lot, but I think he sounds weird at times on this album, like on the 1st track, Kinaesthesia. If I had not known it was him singing, I'd have not recognized him...Maybe it's the vocal production.

The album is very good and probably Ilium's best. Their previous works lacked catchiness IMO and this has been somewhat corrected on that new one.