I'm good at mixing bass.

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
...Seriously! I hear of people complaining (even the pros) that the bass region of a song is the hardest to get right but I tend to get right on it with very little effort. However, my problem lies in the higher-mids. I'd be lucky to ever get them right.

Tinnitus?

Edit: Guys, I'm whining about my higher-mid skills instead of intending to brag about my bass skills.

I am terrible at mixing bass. Either it's all sub crap and you can't hear it at all in the mix, or it's all midrange and no low end. Oy vey.

so share with the rest of us?

I am terrible at mixing bass. Either it's all sub crap and you can't hear it at all in the mix, or it's all midrange and no low end. Oy vey.

Don't have any self-recorded stuff with me (worth sharing, otherwise plenty) at the moment so it kinda gets unethical for me to, you know, give out stuff without asking.

Btw, I was whining about my problems with the higher-mids :lol:

Which instruments do you find it the most difficult to control the high mids?

or do you mean generally?

Which instruments do you find it the most difficult to control the high mids?

or do you mean generally?

Both ways. I'm pretty satisfied with my guitar stuff considering I hardly track anything tuned lower than Standard D. Other than that, generally.

My monitors are M-Audio BX8A's. Not the deluxe ones. Harsh?

I've got DIY tightly packed polyfiber bass traps (superchunks/triangular) at every goddamn corner of my room, except the floor corners of course. They're at least 1ft think I suppose.

Please note that my monitors are 5 feet apart. Should I get them wider?

I got only a few broadband absorbers. Should deaden my room a bit more? It's (feet) 14Lx12Wx10L.

I personally think it's some kind of a medical issue. I can't stand loud noises in terms of the fletcher-munson curves.

------------------------------------------------

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071115040010AA4QrVZ

Holy shit, the second post (Chosen by Asker) is very relevant to my case!

"You may have a low tolerance for noise due to stress or anxiety. Try less caffiene, more green veggies and exercise. One thing that helps me with the jagged nerves sensation was Slo-Mag (magnesium supplements)."

...Seriously! I hear of people complaining (even the pros) that the bass region of a song is the hardest to get right but I tend to get right on it with very little effort. However, my problem lies in the higher-mids. I'd be lucky to ever get them right.

Tinnitus?

Edit: Guys, I'm whining about my higher-mid skills instead of intending to brag about my bass skills.

Please guide me in the right direction regarding recording and mixing bass. What gear do you use?

Tinnitus?

that's because you're living all the way down there....so naturally the low stuff is easier for you.
move to austria for a while and the high mids will come more naturally.

that's because you're living all the way down there....so naturally the low stuff is easier for you.
move to austria for a while and the high mids will come more naturally.

Not a bad idea Lasse. Traveling throughout the world for the perfect frequency balance. :lol:

By the way, I really digged the work you did with that Indian band (forgot the name). I was pretty surprised hearing the quality of their production till I heard the name 'Lasse Lammert'. :headbang:

Keep up the good work man!