Bass tone on a Jaguar type bass help.

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Disclaimer : I'm not a bassist! I own a bass and use it purely to create demos. Therefore, bass tone isn't all that critical, but as most of us here I don't necessarily want it to sound too bad either

The issue that I have is as follows I only own a cheap Fender Squier Jaguar bass. I find that the lower strings lack high end and I was wondering if this is due to the pickup configuration on such a bass. Doesn't matter how I set the EQ on the bass, if I have new strings or not, I find that the low string has a lot less snap than the higher strings. Of course, higher notes on a bass will sound brighter .. But this doesn't seem to be the issue...

So I thought, maybe I should just shop for another bass with a different pickup configuration? Anyone has experience with such pickup config?

I sadly cannot share a tone example right now, but I'm sure you guys will understand what I mean. Again, it's a cheap bass, I'll never achieve a stellar tone, but if I could just fix this at least..

(my typical signal chain is bass - VST Compressor - ignite bass amp VST - orange bass cab IR - Compressor and EQ)