Your best Bass tone with a pitchshifted Guitar

==>Alb<==

Jul 27, 2009
Hey guys I got a crap ibanez 5 strings bass guitar tuned to A
with the 5th string very very muddy and unclear and the other four strings extremely clear

I'm thinking of use one of my 7string guitars with a pitch shifter

what do you suggest?
what pickup, neck, bridge, both
what vst for the pitchshift (the one of the hd500 is not good)
what about eq and comp
what else..
etc...

If you have already done this post it here with some infos :headbang:

If you really... REALLY can't afford new bass strings, I would suggest Reaper ReaPitch. You can use demo version of reaper if you aren't already using full version, and be able to use it.

Your best Bass tone with a pitchshifted Guitar

Will always be worse than one recorded with a real bass. ALWAYS!

Buy some new stainless steel bass strings, they don't need to be expensive (I got a set of these on ebay and to be honest they're absolutely fine!)

Adjust your action, pickup height etc and you should get something that sounds MUCH better than a pitchshifted guitar (which has all the finger/fretting/pick noise pitchshifted along with it, ewww)

I had this problem with the new strings also, now it's more accentuated
I'll try to set the pickup height and soon the stainless strings, another friend suggested me them

I just assumed you didn't own a bass before I opened this thread... But, you do.

Seriously, just get some NEW, thick, D'Addario Pro Steels.

Will always be worse than one recorded with a real bass. ALWAYS!

Buy some new stainless steel bass strings, they don't need to be expensive (I got a set of these on ebay and to be honest they're absolutely fine!)

Aren't these thin? Each string seems to be .1-.15 thinner than the usual gauges e.g. I would expect 1.1 for B string to be wobbly, how can you properly use them?

i get .145 size bass string for drop A. you would be better off getting zombass or some thick ass prosteel dadarrio but low A will always sound a bit muddy. and dont forget if you go the bass rout you need to slam the fuck out it. dont pussy pick for metal. if you go the pitch shift guitar rout you will probably only fill the low end and have to scoop the highs because they will sound like un natural shit.

With reapitch you can also change formant, which makes it really versatile. Find ReaPlugs (it contains ReaPitch), it's free.

What I am doing with my poor 5 string is:

notching out all the worst resonances of my 5th string
using the tse bod with high presence, semi high both lows and highs, this give me a little scooped and clear sound
add a compressor for more sustain
add a eq for another scoop near 400 with a broad Q and a little notch near 140hz cleaning a nasty resonance
add a c4 for tame the highs jumping out from my monitors when I go in higher strings and for a better balance between low and higher stings
add another eq boosting near 2khz with a broad Q for more clarity and one more little scoop near 700hz

all of this picking hard like there is no tomorrow...

I'll post a sample soon...