Bass tone using pitch shifted guitar

JohnTheRipper

Feb 12, 2012
I was just sick and tired of the robotic quality of Vstis, so i bought a nice set of GHS Boomers (because they're the brightest strings i've ever played, they're the 10 1/2-48 Nickel roundwound ones) and loaded up Softube's bass amp room. Here's what i got:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62794148/bass_tone.mp3
Pretty good for an Ibanez RGA32 eh?
I used a single coil simulator and then a pitch shifter in my Digitech RP-90, mostly because of the almost zero latency, but also because it kind of preserves the pick attack and the highs. I set the eq on it to bass-5, mid-3, treb-9, and this went into Bass Amp Room, with the middle cab, no mids, and max bass and treb. I then routed it to another track for grit: high pass at 600hz before hitting waves one-knob driver.
I was going for a punchy mid-growly kind of tone (the sloppiest rendition of tool's parabola kinda indicates what i used for inspiration).
Hope you enjoy this as much as i do. I just freaking love playing it, and I'm starting to consider never to buy a bass guitar, just new strings.

Well the priority for me is mixing, because i can actually make money out of that. I'm primarily a guitar player and have no intention of starting a band or even recording a solo album, so buying more cheap instruments is not really a viable option for me. Also, i did not buy the oneknob series, because after trying it it just seems like a waste of money for me. 300$ for some one-trick poneys isn't really safe investing.
Anyway, i just did this for fun, and to show others that you can record bass for a home or project studio on a really tight budget (having just graduated high-school and relying on my parents, my budget is basically whatever i earn from mixing, which is not much in romania).

PS: Amarshism: yeah, you're right, it is schism. Don't know how that got past me, I really love tool.