Ghetto/pitch-shifted bass sound?

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
Hey, how do you guys all get your bass sound if you happen (like me) to have no bass?

I always find myself pitch-shifting it with Cubase one octave (sounds horribly wobbly afterwards) and then I throw AmpeqSVX on it with the DarkDestortion preset.

Then I compress this bastard hard, some QuadraFuzz and finally EQ it to hell and back. Sounds so crappy... :puke:
I know a lot of you get amazing results with your guitar.

Care to share some details about the process?

Hey, how do you guys all get your bass sound if you happen (like me) to have no bass?

I always find myself pitch-shifting it with Cubase one octave (sounds horribly wobbly afterwards) and then I throw AmpeqSVX on it with the DarkDestortion preset.

Then I compress this bastard hard, some QuadraFuzz and finally EQ it to hell and back. Sounds so crappy... :puke:
I know a lot of you get amazing results with your guitar.

Care to share some details about the process?

since you have SVX, just record the part, DONT pitch shift it.. instead insert the octave pedal in the stomp tab and use that, then eq and color to taste.

I tried the octave pedal in svx thing, but it sucks all of the high end out of the bass. I still prefer to use the Cubase pitch shift down an octave method.

That, and I can get a better bass tone out of Revalver than SVX.

I was at first using my Digitech Whammy pedal set to -1 Octave, but the Whammy doesn't track very well, it's always a noticeable amount of MS's off. Plus is sounded kinda wierd too. Then I started just using the octave process in Cubase SX. Much better. You have to think about what your guitar sounds like coming in though. Like I know I get the best ghetto bass sounds when using both bridge and neck pickups together and turn the tone down a few notches. Just enough high-end going on to keep the notes clear, but not enough to make it jangly or really middy. Makes it easier to work with once it's pitched. Then I just slam it with an L1 and/or RComp and eq the hell out of it. Sometimes I add Cubase's QuadraFuzz or I'll use a distortion emulation on my PODxt when tracking.

Or if I feel like doing it properly I have a nice 5-string here. :)

~e.a

I usually bite mine around 300Hz or so, just a dip, medium Q...the way i do it though, if it's too scooped it'll sound just like the Korn bass...wierd.

~e.a

I do this ALL the time as I can't be arsed to go find a decent left-handed bass.

elephant-audio does EXACTLY what I do as far as using Cubase's Pitch Shift AND more importantly, using the middle selector (bridge and neck pu's) when tracking the bass.

Afterwards, I hit it with AmpegSVX, Sansamp PSA-1 or Izotope Trash and then URS CS Pro compressing the hell out of it with some tailored EQ.

I've actually gotten really good results lately, check out my last clip and the ambient rock one on my myspace.