Pitch shifting bass question

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
I'm recording a song with my band on saturday. Guitars are 7 strings in drop G but the bass i have access to is a 5 string tuned to A. If I record in A and then pitch shift it afterwards should it be alright? I didn't want to only do midi bass/pitch shift guitars but i think this probably provides the best of both. I don't know if i'll have time to get an extra low string for the G and it's not even my bass so I don't want to go ruining the setup.

I'll be recording the bass with the axe-fx but i dont know if I should do D.I takes or not. If the low G is going to be inaudible then I might just record it an octave higher but it will lose the nice low end bass punch :(

I'm recording a song with my band on saturday. Guitars are 7 strings in drop G but the bass i have access to is a 5 string tuned to A. If I record in A and then pitch shift it afterwards should it be alright? I didn't want to only do midi bass/pitch shift guitars but i think this probably provides the best of both. I don't know if i'll have time to get an extra low string for the G and it's not even my bass so I don't want to go ruining the setup.

I'll be recording the bass with the axe-fx but i dont know if I should do D.I takes or not. If the low G is going to be inaudible then I might just record it an octave higher but it will lose the nice low end bass punch :(

recording bass that low is a pain in the ass. When i record low bass, i sometimes end up recording a step or two above the desired tuning, then i use Waves Soundshifter P(i think thats the name) to shift the bass DI down, then reamp it.

that's just me though

Thank you Brian. Will it just be very rumbley? Yeah, see with the reamping I really want to use the axe-fx for it. I don't have SVX or anything but i'm going to have to anticipate the settings for the lower tuning while tracking in the higher tuning...kind of worries me.