Pitch shifting guitars big time. Yes or no?

David Lee Hasselhoff

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2009
Big general question: is it "allowed" to pitch shift the guitars in a song by one full tone?
I got this little soft song with DI tracks send through an ampsim (Nebula's Bassman program which puts anything else I've ever heard from an ampsim to shame BTW). Turns out I (<- hack) can't sing to it cause it's too bloody low. My "monitors" ain't exactly top notch, so I don't really hear that much of a difference in quality. I've used Reaper's pitchshifter on it. Is that blasphemous? Any advice? ...too annoyed to track it again...

+1, i used the reaper pitch shifter to bring a DI guitar down a few notches before it hit revalver and the results were...well, amusing, haha. But what i wanted, i suppose. if it works, why not o_0

i had a cheesy deathcore band come in once and the guitarists played 7-strings in drop A and the bassplayer rolls up with a 4-string p-bass, and the low A sounded like...well, nothing. so i tried having him tune to drop B and then pitch shifting it down to drop A (so there was atleast SOME harmonic tonality to it) and it almost worked but tracking with the latency was too difficult.

I've pitchshifted as much as a 4th before, never a whole track though... While editing my last project I needed to fly in an open E sustained chord from another part of a song to double something and the best I could find was an A, so I pitch shifted it down 5 frets and pasted it in, sounded good enough for that part. I generally would stay away from pitchshifting an entire track though :/

If you use a half-assed pitch shifter, it will probably end up being low quality. But if you use something decent, it has to sound good. I've heard some good pitch shifted tones in this board.

What would be your pitchshifter of choice then? On second listen I'm not all that happy with the in-built Reaper one. :ill:

Really? In what way?
I thought it was ok but anyway David Lee Hasselhoff now has at least to samples to make up his mind wether or not pitch-shifting is gonna effect his sound.

Really? In what way?
I thought it was ok but anyway David Lee Hasselhoff now has at least to samples to make up his mind wether or not pitch-shifting is gonna effect his sound.

What can I say, dont sound too natural. Do you raise the pitch?
Today a tried reapitch with 1 tone lower and it´s not bad at all. But to get a good sound I had to change the algorithm.