I'm moving to California!

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I already told everybody about this at the AA forum, but since some of you don't go there anymore (JayKeeley), I'll list it here too.

I got a pretty decent job offer in Arroyo Grande, CA. It's a small town on the beach near San Luis Obispo, CA. My office will only be a few blocks from the beach. Living expenses are more than Kansas but not anything like LA, San Fran, etc.

Let me know when you guys will be out to visit. We could travel to San Fransicso or LA (both are 3 hours drive) and catch Agalloch, Neurosis, or something else.

I'll move in late June or early July.:hotjump:

Oh man that is fantastic. I'm sure there will be a slight cultural shock too with it being California etc.

That's quite a lifestyle change isn't it? Moving to the beach! What does the new job entail? And is the wife ok with the move (I presume she is).

Do you think you'll get to see Agalloch?!!

I'll make it out there to late for the current Agalloch shows. Maybe down the line, though.

My wife should be able to find excellent job opportunities out there. She is a marriage and family therapist and California is way ahead of the game in that department.

My job will be with a small commercial bank. Exactly what I wanted. I won't be raking in the dough, but the opportunities for advancement are good. I'll start as a loan officer. That's what I am now. The economy is WAY better out there, so my job will be much more exciting and satisfying.

I'll send pictures once I get settled in.

npearce said:
The economy is WAY better out there, so my job will be much more exciting and satisfying.

Is that really the case? I just thought that with the Hi-Tech industry paving the way for CA normally, and with it being flat on its face these days, that the economy in CA was about as piss poor as anywhere else...

...I think it's pretty brave of you to be leaving one job to find another in these conditions - but it obviously paid off. Congrats.

The economy is better in that area because their two main sources of income are tourism and farming. The tourism won't die because it is becoming one of the more highly respected places to vacation. Lot's of people are also moving there from LA and San Francisco.

The farming involves fruits, vegetables, and grapes (wineries). That market is never weak.

npearce said:
The economy is better in that area because their two main sources of income are tourism and farming. The tourism won't die because it is becoming one of the more highly respected places to vacation.

Really? Who goes on vacation there? Is it for the vinyards or the beaches?

Do you know how to surf by the way?!

Vineyards. LOTS of great wine comes from that area.

You aren't going to "REAL" California though (the stereotypical one), thankfully. Los Angeles is a festering cesspool, but so far it hasn't spread too far north. :)

The Central Coast area (where I'm moving) is just now becoming known for their wines. The climate and soil is different than up north, so wines are different. This is all from what I've heard.

Also, Pismo Beach is right beside where I'll be working, and it has the largest and only stretch of beach with dunes that you can drive on. It is pretty widely known among off-road types. It's a HUGE beach. Of course I'm from Kansas, so a sandbox is a large beach to me.

I don't know how to surf, though. I know how to watch the girls in bikinis!