I'm new at mixing and I need help (metalcore)

GuitariSteve

Aug 21, 2008
Hello,

I've purchased an M-audio fast track pro a few months ago and I've only been jamming with it. I've recorded tracks yesterday to see what I could do with it.

I'm using a MacBook Pro and Reaper. Both guitars have been double tracked (they're not tight as fuck, I agree). Bass is just dry signal from the soundcard... and for drums I used an old wave rendered from Addictive Drums a while ago.

Signal chain for the guitars : EMG81 > M-audio FTP > Reaper noisegate > TS-999 > Poulin Le456 > LAConvolver with Gods Cab 1.4 57_TS_1_inch_edge_pres_2.wav > EQ

TS-999 settings - Poulin Le456 settings - EQ settings (don't know anything about this)

I've also added a limiter (twice) on the master (both with a threshold of -5dB).

Your help is much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
The mix is lacking lows, the bass guitar is completely gone to me and the kick can have some more lows too. This is the biggest problem I think, fix that and we'll see next.

Thank you both for your advice. Mairomaster, in fact I thought "as long as we hear the bass, it's good" but I was wrong. So I could fix that by messing around with the EQ, right? I'll give it a try later today.To both of you, I don't think I can do much for the drums because as I said it, I'm stuck with a single rendered wave...

Your whole mix has a huge gap from the lows to the very end of the low mids, decrease the cuts you made and reference an album you like the sound of to get the mix balanced sounding. I think there should be no need for two limiters, btw.

Heres a major tweak for you, download oveloud Th2 use the Full metal Preset. It will give you a desent STARTING point! Your life will be better in general and all your friends will call you producer.Not to mention all the chicks will worship what comes out of your speakers and make little statues of it ;) :Shedevil: Just kiding:Spin:, use TH2 though! :wave:

Just download the scorge 120 metal kit for AD. The drums sound booring. I see that you used the 80s kit maybe.