I'm new here, just wondering if...

Mar 24, 2003
St. Louis,MO
Visit site
any one is into really avant-garde stuff like John Zorn or into twentieth century classical music like Bela Bartok and Toru Takemitsu. Does any one hear like jazz like Weather Report, Jaco Pastorius, or Nils Petter Molvaer. If so, get back to me please.
:err: Off that subject I'm looking forward to seeing Opeth for the forth time now, this time in St.Louis. Any one here from St. Louis, MO?

Thanks for your opinion, but it's not what I asked for. You obviously do not have any grasp on how metal is not the only genre that can be heavy or emotional. I can listen to Nattens Madrigal by Ulver then pop in some classical music like Bartok without a problem.
Anyways, maybe you should endeavor beyond your narrow vision of metal and seek new things. If not, then do not post absurd messages about gayness because you cannot handle anything but metal.
P.S. Most talented metal musicians have classical and jazz influences. Martin Mendez's favorite musician is Jaco Pastorius for example.

Brian-
"P.S. Most talented metal musicians have classical and jazz influences. Martin Mendez's favorite musician is Jaco Pastorius for example."

YAY!
pleased.gif
Great point, man. Welcome!

I'm sorry to say I don't buy jazz or classical. I like both, but haven't dived into either fully. I've been swimming in the deep end of death metal for years now. Sooner or later, when I tire of it somewhat and want more, I'll venture toward the two I'm sure. I'd guess at this point classical would be first.

[QUOTE Sooner or later, when I tire of it somewhat and want more, I'll venture toward the two I'm sure. I'd guess at this point classical would be first.[/QUOTE]

Hey, check out a CD called Between Tides by Toru Takemitsu. It is very chilling and haunting in some points to listen to. Your best option for getting into classical and jazz would John Zorn. This guy is 50 years old and he has written so much music it is unbelievable: classical, jazz, ambience, thrash-metal jazz, you name it and he's done it. His old band Painkiller actually had the Mick Harris, the drummer of Napalm Death. The old Naked City albums are heavy as hell too, especially Torture Garden. Check it out and thanks for the welcome!

Brian-
"John Zorn. This guy is 50 years old and he has written so much music it is unbelievable.."

Thanks for the tip.

Brian T. Ghammet said:
Thanks for your opinion, but it's not what I asked for. You obviously do not have any grasp on how metal is not the only genre that can be heavy or emotional. I can listen to Nattens Madrigal by Ulver then pop in some classical music like Bartok without a problem.
Speedkill was messing around with you. If you scroll down in that post, you see his smile and his 'welcome to the board' message.

I think a great many people on this board come from a wide musical background. I, too, typically transition between genres without much of a thought. It just depends on my mood. Yesterday I went from Vehemence to Pink Floyd to Devin Townsend to Wolverine to Kansas to Darkthrone in the span of a couple hours.

I'm not so much into Jazz, but I really enjoy Classical a lot.

At any rate... Welcome to the Opeth board. :D

I LOVE Jaco Pastorius. His cd titled "Jaco" i think, with Bley, Ditmas and Metheny, is simply awesome, maybe my favorite Jaco cd.
Hope you know many of the jazz-metal bands like Atheist, Alarum, Anacrusis, and other technical metal bands !

Hope you know many of the jazz-metal bands like Atheist said:
I'm really into Candiria, Dillinger Escape Plan, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, and Maudlin of the Well. John Zorn's Naked City is by far the most off the wall jazz rock/metal band I've ever heard. Yamatsuka Eye of The Boredoms is the vocalist and does some of the most bizarre vocals I've ever heard.

Does anyone like Scholomance, the only good thing to ever come from my state, or Sigh, the black metal/progressive, downright weird band from Japan?

Brian T. Ghammet said:
Your best option for getting into classical and jazz would John Zorn. This guy is 50 years old and he has written so much music it is unbelievable: classical, jazz, ambience, thrash-metal jazz, you name it and he's done it. His old band Painkiller actually had the Mick Harris, the drummer of Napalm Death. The old Naked City albums are heavy as hell too, especially Torture Garden. Check it out and thanks for the welcome!
Thanks for mentioning those bands man, particuarly "Naked City..." I just listened to a few clips of some of that stuff a few minutes ago and they've already been added to the wishlist... /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

-John Cargo
Thanks for mentioning those bands man, particuarly "Naked City..."
No problem! Once I got into Naked City I was hooked to John Zorn. I am constantly buying his stuff now. I can't help but buy a Zorn CD if I see one. Last week I went over board and bought 12 of his CDs! I've got 28 CDs out of his 100+ catalog now. My goal is to get everything by him. Also, go to Tzadik.com. That is Zorn's record label where you will find all kinds of experimental and talented musicians. Especially check out the New Japan category. Bands like Purple Trap, Merzbow, and The Ruins are on it.

Brian T. Ghammet said:
Maudlin of the Well.
GREAT band. Both Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are stellar releases. I think I may like Bath a little better, though.

Brian T. Ghammet said:
Does anyone like Scholomance, the only good thing to ever come from my state, or Sigh, the black metal/progressive, downright weird band from Japan?
Scholomance is a cool band, I enjoy their stuff. I was actually listening to 'A Treatise On Love' just last night.

Sigh, I really liked their Hail Horror Hail album, and Imaginary Sonicscape blew me away; but I think their material has, for me, lost its lustre after a couple of listens. Just my opinion. I guess that's why I can't get into Jazz, it's too all-over-the-place.

NP: Buckethead - 'Wishing Well'

Brian - "I've got 28 CDs out of his 100+ catalog now. My goal is to get everything by him."

exCUSE ME?! 100+!
rolleyes3.gif
Holy bajolies!