im new to putting vocals in a mix

foundations

Jul 6, 2010
ok so im prety happy with the rest of my mix and have been mixing instruments for a while now so i know where im at

but this is my first real go at mixing vocals, and im not happy with the sound at all

i recorded them using an SE X1
and iv used:
Multiband Compressor
Reverb
EQ
Gate
on the vocal group channel

someone please give me some pointers as to why this sounds soo bad over my mix?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15846363/Ambidjent Vocals.mp3

i dont have waves plugins
and i dont want to have to layer the vocals to get it thicker i dont want doubled vocals all the way through the song, i believe layering takes away from the actual vocalists performance
i just want help to make the takes i currently have to sound their best
here is someone elses recording of the same vocalist and the vocals sound great with just 1 layer.. the song isnt mixed yet tho
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15846363/Districts.mp3

it just sounds like you need to be compressing much harder. if necessary use 2 compressors in a row, each working less hard. do this on the individual channels, and then put another compressor on the vocal group's channel taking off another 2-3 db or so.

with guttural vocals we're not really looking to preserve dynamics in the performance, so don't be afraid to compress the shit out of them

thanks jack that realy helps. atm im just using the one multi band compression, and with that im obviously compressing a lot on the highs and not so much of the lows, do you think i should just put a straight up single band compressor in there aswel? and make the multi band work less hard?

why are you only compressing the highs? you should only be compressing the lows with a multiband, and let a de-esser take care of any HF stuff that pokes out. your vocal chain should look something like this: a compressor with 12 or more dB's or gain reduction (or 2 back to back with like 6-8 dB's of reduction), then EQ boosting HFs (but not too much), then cutting any room sound usually somewhere in the low-mids depending on the room (but be careful here, its easy to cut out some vital frequencies by accident), then hi-pass somewhere around 80-100hz, whatever is appropriate. Just remember that too much EQ can destroy a vocal, so go easy. then you want some kind of saturation, tube or tape, hitting it fairly hard. and thats about it, aside from reverb and delay. I'd only use the multi-band if your vocalist needs more low end.

ok, coz in my multiband compressor im compressing the highs and high mids hard and nothing on the lows and a little on the low mids.. i guess thats prety wrong then?

thanks btw

oh sorry man. yea you definitely don't need to be doing that. when it comes to vocals, only whip out the multiband if you need it. I only ever use it to beef up the low end if someone has a "small" voice. The hi frequencies in a vocal is the part that you want to breath, you don't need to squash out all the dynamics up there. Just use a de-esser to cut the sibilance, and thats it