Im sick of Line6 toneport GX

SirZephyr

New Metal Member
Mar 29, 2008
Tampere, Finland
My toneport makes annoying clicks and pops when using multiple FX. For example: four guitar tracks with FXchain like TSS-7170-Kefir without anything else makes my ears bleed. It makes mixing songs totally impossible. Im using AMD dualcore 4800+ and 2K RAM. I have tried varius setting and buffer sizes up to 4096, but nothing seems to fix this problem. CPU usage peaks at 5%, so its not about cpu performance..
I have also tried different plugins, but it wont make a difference..
Im using Reaper.

Have you had any similiar problems or propositions how to fix this?

Thanks for your answers!

what is your sample rate and latency value set at? My recordings had issues with 44.1khz and 256 samples but sounded much better with 96khz and 2048 samples.

This isn't a toneport though, but maybe it'll work for you too?

My toneport makes annoying clicks and pops when using multiple FX. For example: four guitar tracks with FXchain like TSS-7170-Kefir without anything else makes my ears bleed. It makes mixing songs totally impossible. Im using AMD dualcore 4800+ and 2K RAM. I have tried varius setting and buffer sizes up to 4096, but nothing seems to fix this problem. CPU usage peaks at 5%, so its not about cpu performance..
I have also tried different plugins, but it wont make a difference..
Im using Reaper.

Have you had any similiar problems or propositions how to fix this?

Thanks for your answers!

You're not trying to monitor on all four channels at once are you?

Anything more than two set to monitor/record at once and it will turn to shit generally.

Other than that I have a very similar spec (2.2Ghz Dual Core Intel, 2K Ram, the toneport itself, Reaper) and I usually can sit at 256 on the buffer size and have no problems playing back four tracks of guitars with that sort of fx chain.

what is your sample rate and latency value set at? My recordings had issues with 44.1khz and 256 samples but sounded much better with 96khz and 2048 samples.

This isn't a toneport though, but maybe it'll work for you too?

I'have tried 44,1 and 48 khz and samples between 128 and 4096, and it wont fix this problem. Toneport doesn't support 96khz..

Öwen;8206849 said:
You're not trying to monitor on all four channels at once are you?

Anything more than two set to monitor/record at once and it will turn to shit generally.

Other than that I have a very similar spec (2.2Ghz Dual Core Intel, 2K Ram, the toneport itself, Reaper) and I usually can sit at 256 on the buffer size and have no problems playing back four tracks of guitars with that sort of fx chain.

No. I monitor only the track i'm recording. It wont make a different between recording or playback. Those fucking pops and cracks are always present.

Now i can handle two tracks of guitars without pops and cracks. With 512 buffer size and 3% cpu usage. Add one track more, and it becomes unuseable.

tried going back a driver version?

what are you using? windows or os x? does it happen on other machines? (if you can test that last one out)

is it possible its a hardware fault? my friend had a pod with a dieing psu (stupid design, its on board, the plug supplies an AC voltage. if the power supply dies, time to shell out for a new pod), and it had clicking and popping, because the dc voltage was leaking occasionally into the output. good times, that was.

thanks,

You know what it is? it's your (or at least my assumption is it's your) cheap intergrated circuit USB ports. I had a similar problem with my old pc so i went and bought a PCI usb card for 10 smacko's and wacked her in and problem solved. Either that or your plugging it into a USB hub, which is bad.

edit: btw i use a gx aswell, well... the toneport di-silver, pretty much the same thing.