I'm tired of cheapass XLR cables!

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
:mad: After losing two more cheapo Musiciansfriend $2.50 each XLR cables.... I have decided to buy some "better" XLR cables.

It seems like after more than dozen or less runs with Phatom power, the cheapy XLRs give out!

What are some good XLRs, but will not break my wallet?

I was thinking maybe Monster 100 series or maybe Mogami? And Monster's Warranty is SWEET too!!!:headbang:

What do yall think?:worship:

DIY some mogami cables w/ nuetrik connectors. I've never used monster's 100 series but I own a few 500 series and my DIY cables are as good or better for a whole lot less.

Yeah, build your own using Mogami or Canare cables with Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors. Pretty cheap too, you can get it for like 35-40 cents a foot many places.

:Smug: really....so Mogami DIY kit is probably best for the money huh?

Not too hard to do is it ? I wouldn't wanna save just a few dollars for a bunch of work.......

Do I still get a good warranty with the DIY kits ??

you're kidding right?

Also keep in mind that the DIY method allows you to make another one if it breaks...for really cheap...even if there was some stupid warranty, would you want to go through all that work, shipping, waiting, phone calls, emails, etc. just to get a cable you could of made in less than an hour and costs you a few bucks?

Seriously..

ApolloSpeed said:
:Smug: really....so Mogami DIY kit is probably best for the money huh?

Not too hard to do is it ? I wouldn't wanna save just a few dollars for a bunch of work.......

Do I still get a good warranty with the DIY kits ??

No warranty....FWIW I use 50 or so home made cables for live stuff (canare ameriquad mostly) and a bunch of mogami in my home studio and I've never had them fail unless they got trashed by a road case or closed in a door. Some of those cables have been in daily service for a decade. If you solder extremely poorly the joints can fail but this is an easy repair.
As far as price goes, I can make a 20' mogami/neutrik cable for about $16. A monster 100 series w/ molded conectors would be about $30 and a monster 500 w/ the same neutriks I use would be over $50.
Monsters are overpriced IMO. If you really just don't want to solder at least consider ordering some customs from www.Redco.com .

ApolloSpeed said:
well, I really don't wanna do a bunch of soldering......so what and where are the best deals on premade cable?

Don't be so lazy....:lol:

Get one of these:
product-pro(2).jpg

ok so what kinda wire do I need to get....the Quad XLR ? Dual Shield ? or what ??

and what is the main difference in a standard XLR connector and the "many" different styles of Neutrik ?