Im trying to learn really high pitched vocals right now.

Crystal Star

Jan 9, 2006
Ya I pretty much just started like during fourth period in music appretiation class and im starting to actually get better. Im working on that part in Lost Horizon's Highlander. You know that part where it gos oooh ooo ooo ahhhh oooh oooo ahhh haaa eeee ahhhhh!

I was just listening to that part the other day. What a kickass vocal line. I've been working on my falsetto as well... it's difficult to support the higher notes with your diaphragm... I also took a shit the other day! I had the endless wipe.

Lemme get this straight, singing the ridiculously high, window-shattering pitches of Ethereal Magnanimus (Daniel Heiman) is something that you are 'learning' to do?

Right, so by this logic I could learn to sing like Dianna Ross despite being male, speaking a cockney accent and having the oh so unfortunate dropping of my balls around 13 years of age.

If you are lucky enough to be in the 0.00000004% of people in the world able to hit such highs then respect to you, but to suggest this can be learned?

Maybe she's born with it, maybe its maybelline....no she's usually born with it.

You'd have more chance of success setting up a Meshuggah line dancing group in the bible belt than learning to sing like Daniel unless your already phenomenally talented. Good luck with it thou.

This is cantankerous old bastard signing off 10-4.

You can expand your vocal range through training and proper technique. But some people just have the natural ability to go much higher (or lower) than others. Good luck, dude, but don't get your hopes up.

Man, I suck at singing. I tried hitting high notes Halford style, like Painkiller.... Although it's incredibly fun to do, my voice would be more suitable to sing clearly like Akerfeldt or Cookie Monster Schuldiner style.

RobbM said:
It might help if someone kicks you in the nuts with some steel tips right before you sing.....
That really does work. I learned that the hard way.

Man some of you guys are way harsh. OSaS is right though, some people's voices are just naturally higher or lower pitched than others, but that doesn't mean you can't train yourself to sing high. Its about developing a strong head voice, really. I'd suggest you go to a vocal coach and take lessons on how to do this stuff propperly, because otherwise you'll either a) wind up not improving much or b) get some bad singing habits and fuck up your voice.

But you can have all the right training and still not sound like Daniel, or whoever you're trying to. Everyone's voice is different. Learn to appriciate the unique quality of your voice. Personally, most of my favorite singers are ones that, might not be as technically good as some other guys, but their voices are unique, so to me, that makes them special. Lots of guys can belt out high head voice shit, but how many guys are out there who sound like Piet Sielck?

I agree with Yngvai. I know I have a limit, specially if I started to take lessons just now at my 26 years old. It doesn't matter at all to me. It's something I found I love doing, and I'm not going to stop just because I'm not going to be the highest of them all.

Just fooling around I could barely reach the high notes of Queen Of The Reich. With proper training, I know I can nail it sooner or later. I won't bother with something higher than that because I won't need it for my future dream projects. :)