I'm trying to learn to growl.

DarthPuma

Mr. Concentrated Awesome
Sep 6, 2007
First off, if this isn't the right place to post this thread I'd be glad to lock it and post it in the correct board.

I've been trying to learn to growl for a few months now. I'm only 14, and my voice isn't very deep, but I'm trying anyways. I recorded one of my attempts. Would any of you mind giving me advice based on the recording?

Here's the vid: http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/Darth_Puma/?action=view&current=Picture048.flv

I was doing an Amon Amarth song.

You legitimately sound like a 14 year attempting to growl with absolutely no rhythm. It sounds painful- like your profoundly struggling. Keep trying though, you're very young and have a lot of time.

Not bad for a first try, considering youre so young. Go to the Bloodbath forum in the band forums section, its a subforum for Katatonia. Theres a thread there about growling, you should check it out. Some people in there, including me, have posted videos of themselves growling. You should post yours there as well to get some more feedback.

Not bad for a first try, considering youre so young. Go to the Bloodbath forum in the band forums section, its a subforum for Katatonia. Theres a thread there about growling, you should check it out. Some people in there, including me, have posted videos of themselves growling. You should post yours there as well to get some more feedback.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, you sound awfull...not just the voice, but you don't even have the vocal line down...still, you clearly have good taste (GODS OF WAR ARISE!) and since you're only 14, you'll probably get better...I'm 16, also trying to learn to growl...not doing much better...you might wanna try switching to the vocal style of Anders Friden (older In Flames), since that's better anyways...

Ahh I'm running into a few reruns tonight. Darth Puma, I think WeAreInFlames probably has a good suggestion considering your vocals range. Anders would be much easier for you to accomplish since your voice obviously is not yet cut out to accomplish Amon Amarth style:D

nice try in your age!!
I also work on learning to growl.I always sing with the CD,following the Mikael's voice(dark tranquillity),is that a good way to growl??Actually I didn't have a good idea to growl.See you guys how to growl...

Honestly, if you can't figure out how to growl without straining your throat, I'd put it off until you're a little older. You don't want to permanently damage your vocal cords by putting them under stress while your voice is still changing.