IMHOTEP - REVIEW of ORDER OF NINE's -"A Means to Know End"

MEGALOUD

The Nightmare Has Begun..
ORDER OF NINE - A Means To Know End
Published: 2008.07.02

Nightmare Records (2008)

Third album from these traditional power masters of Pennsylvania- who capture the fervor for long lost American 80’s metal. I remember my first encounter with their singer Michael DeGrena, back when the act was called Templar. They made an appearance on a Queensryche tribute album for Siegen Records, and had a brief conversation about the state of power metal in the US versus abroad with foreign journalists at the final Powermad festival in 2001. Since then they’ve changed names, gotten a little darker in their sound but still play with the feel of Jag Panzer, Heir Apparent, Crimson Glory and Judas Priest in their hearts- a great combination of regal vocal octaves, thunderous rhythms and a slew of solo runs throughout these 10 songs.

Take "An Offered Hand" for instance- a 4:47 tornado sweeper that opens with a dual speed guitar harmony summoned from Helstar’s best catalog before dropping on a dime with a slower, deep Cage-like evilness before concluding with another prolonged exercise in how two axe slingers should battle for metal supremacy. Vocally Michael DeGrena exercises stellar control in all aspects of his voice, sustaining notes for chilling effect in moodier material like ""Ghost Of Memories" yet unafraid to belt out commands like Harry Conklin or Geoff Tate in "Ninth Knight". "A Means To Know End" contains arrangements that provide fist waving, hair twisting and horn salutes from first note to last. Some may scoff at the raw, plug it in and play production ethics- but rest assured sonically you’ll still be able to take in drums, bass, guitars and vocals with the right clarity and separation necessary for head banging pleasure.

There’s no mistaking Order Of Nine for anything other than traditional metal- powerful in a dark American approach that rarely gains headlines but I think still remains a favorite with a lot of the population, young or old. Keep the movement alive by seeking out this band- as this disc will monumentally increase your metallic net worth.

www.myspace.com/orderofnine
www.nightmare-records.com

Composed by Matt Coe