Impending Doom - For the Wicked

CivereSounds

Zakk Cervini
Ok so I was pretty much blown away by this, the song is pretty cool with the off time breakdowns and overall structure, and the production is stellar. I've never truly dug the sound of any Impending Doom album, and this is a combo of 2 of my favorite guys (Machine, Andreas Magnusson). Definitely one of machines finest works, the drums sit incredibly well in the mix and it's my favorite performance I've ever heard out of Brooke. Thoughts?

OK, after listening to this in the studio, I still LIKE it....but it suffers from some of Andreas' more annoying mix qualities that tend to ALWAYS annoy me..

I defo hear a lot of VH4 on the GTRs from Machine with what sounds like some reamps by Magnusson w/either a 5150 or Recto... ANYWAYS..

SNR is retardedly loud in some songs, Magnusson defo used a lot of Machine's SNR sound (his signature is all over it) but it has almost 0 dynamic and the OH's are BLARINGLY loud.. the mix is basically all drums + GTR's..

still dig it because Machine was involved but it's not a record I can listen to in an enjoyable, euphonic way; unfortunately...

not sure about the mix, only listened to it through laptop speakers and fucked up headphones
but the music kicks fucking ass and yep-it sounds like there's some vh4 in the guitars, nasty
(awesome) midrange.

Sounds really good. At least on my laptop. :p

From what I remember of what I heard before it was mixed (started some reamp tests for this album for Andreas before he got flooded in some serious problems, so the reamp unfortunately didn't go ahead...) it sounds like the Guitar and Drum sound is of the responsibility of Andreas.

Maybe Andreas can chime in and give some details.

What do you guys mean when you say you hear VH4 on the guitars? Are you referring to the Diezel head? If so, how is it possible to hear characteristics of a specific amp when the DI is run reamped through a different head?

becauseeeeeeeee

1. Machine is KNOWN to use the VH4 on TONS of records he engineers/produces

2. it just sounds like a VH4, hahahaha... BUT, like I said, mixed with something else... possibly a 5150 (most probable knowing Andreas) or a Recto...

Guitars were either 5150 III or a 6505. Can't remember which one made it.

There were no reamps on machine's end. As far as I know machine doesn't reamp unless its a last resort. He's mixed two records I've tracked and both times told me not to bother sending di's.

I don't think he changed much from what I sent him other than the kick. Snare sounds like what I sent him other than some added ambient samples. Snare is a dunnet titanium with a sample of itself underneath it. Toms don't sound sampled at all. I sort of wish there was a little sample underneath them to fill things out a bit more.

Glad you guys like it! Let me know if you have any questions.

oh shit, wait, MACHINE MIXED THIS?!

I thought it was the other way around! (Machine tracked/produced, Andreas mixed/mastered)

FUCKKKK. What a different sound from him (but still very, very cool). I'll have to give it another spin just knowing this...hmmm...