3 Infernique
4 Hellucinations
5 Show Me Your God!
6 Death_Wish_Scar
7 Toxic Paranoia
8 Needles Nervosa
9. Bloodspill Revelation
10. Suicide Park

The only time I had heard IMPIOUS before was on a couple of tribute albums, and after their strangely fitting blast version of “One” by METALLICA; I was definitely interested in hearing more from these guys. Someone at Metal Blade had the good sight to snatch these guys up finally, and what we have here is definitely an above average death/thrash album. With the release of their fourth full length, Hellucinate, we are finally given a true chance to enjoy this great band. IMPIOUS do throw plenty of different influences into their groove orientated death n’ roll. You can definitely hear plenty of old school thrash elements seeping through. But, like most of the bands in this genre, guitar melodies mixed with brutal vocals is the name of the game, and IMPIOUS are definitely running with the ball here.

The production is really crystal clear, and really needs to be for an album such as this. Everything from the thick layers of guitars, perfect pitch sounding drums, and pounding bass lines combine for one hell of a listen. On the third track, “Infernique”, the vocals take a strange turn at some points as they are stretched into some really high notes close to what you would find with 3 INCHES OF BLOOD. I really was enjoying some of the double layered heavy growls on the most straight forward death metal song on here, “Bloodspill Revelation”, which reminds me of what BLOODBATH is doing, sort of paying homage to the best death metal of the past. The album closes with the epic “Suicide Park”, complete with symphony elements. Everyone will find something on this album to brag about liking the most, and just makes my point of how great an album this is really stick out.

One thing is for sure, IMPIOUS are standing at the threshold of the modern death metal movement left vacant by THE CROWN and the like. IMPIOUS are sadly one of the most over looked bands on the Metal Blade roster, and deserved to be heard by any fan of modern death/thrash. Long live Impious and get ready for the next great Swedish band.

Rating: 8/10

Evil C