Implementing Scales

The Muffin Man

New Metal Member
May 29, 2007
After reading several threads about which scales would best for metal I was just wondering how you could make a metal riff from a scale. I have made countless riffs without this knowledge but I guess it would be useful if I ever hit a writers block. So can anyone give me some guidence in how to make metal riffs with scales or just give me an example from a song?

After reading several threads about which scales would best for metal I was just wondering how you could make a metal riff from a scale. I have made countless riffs without this knowledge but I guess it would be useful if I ever hit a writers block. So can anyone give me some guidence in how to make metal riffs with scales or just give me an example from a song?

play a scale, and screw around with those notes. I am legend/Out for Blood by Arch Enemy, the intro is a perfect example imo

Phrygian is fun to tool around with. I'm no soloist, but it's quite an easy mode to learn and has a nice flow to it.

But I really like Marty Friedman's style, too, so I'm somewhat biased.

Hungarian and Persian too are really cool.

Most metal riffs that you come up with probably use a varient of either the minor or phrygian scale, even if it's unintentional. I'm planning on creating an instructional music composition thread after I get back to school, so I'll add this to my list of threads to bump after it's up.

Phrygian is fun to tool around with. I'm no soloist, but it's quite an easy mode to learn and has a nice flow to it.

But I really like Marty Friedman's style, too, so I'm somewhat biased.

Hungarian and Persian too are really cool.

I'm actually Persian, and I was screwing around looking at random scales and found this one. It's sweet as!

Yeah man, Persian has that sort of Nile-ish feel to it, somewhat archaic. Middle Eastern scales are my favorite...and I'm still learning them because they aren't too easy, either.