Important question about subwoofer!

Im looking into purchasing a subwoofer, and im looking either at the KRK RP10s, M-Audio BX10s or the Yamaha hs10W.
I was wondering how important the frequency response on a subwoofer is?
The m-audio is 20hz-200hz , while the yamaha is 30hz - 180 hz and the KRK is 36-150hz..
Does anyone here use any of these?

Thanks in advance

Alec

I have the RP10...don't get it unless you have really big monitors...I have RP8's, the biggest of the Rockit series, and even then, the subwoofer is WAY too powerful for this system...I have the volume on like .4 (out of 10) at the most...don't get me wrong, its a great subwoofer, but if you have small monitors (like the RP6's)...then its way too powerful, totally unnecessary

I hate the idea of a woofer personally dude.

And dude, there is NO WAY you will hear the whole audio spectrum without a sub. Sure, if you get a bad one, and set it up wrong, it can totally fuck up your monitors, add a lot of low end hype and such. But a proper subwoofer adds TONS of detail to your monitors. One great example is the newest Chimaira album. Andy has (and uses) a subwoofer, and there is no way he could have mixed that album without one. Do you realize how much low frequency activity there is in that album (and by low end I mean stuff below 180 Hz)? All those bass drops?

I know that being a good engineer also means learning the limitations of your listening setup, but you can't "learn" stuff you can't hear...subwoofers aren't necessary for mixing all genres of music, but a genre like metal, which is so powerful and has such an emphasis on lowend....a subwoofer is almost essential

A lot of people don't like the idea of subs but you are right, they are essential for understanding what's really going on in the low end. It's my next addition to my small studio right after I get the treatment completed and put up.