Question about upgrading my gear!

Everybody

Hail Santa
Mar 31, 2009
SC
Hey guys,

First question I have is, should I upgrade my Presonus Firestudio Project for a M-Audio Profire 2626?

Ive heard the pres are better (but how much?) and I know that it has PT (which I will dabble in, but im using Reaper) it can be used standalone later when expanding (nice but not essential right now) anything else I should know?

I would be getting the Profire for around $500-under on ebay. (would try and sell the presonus for $200-250 to help cut down the cost out of pocket)

My other question is should I keep the FSP and buy a better pre/pres, or anything else?

I use triggers for drums, DI for guitars and bass, AT 3035 for vocals in case it matters.

Its getting to Xmas time and im just trying to think of things I can put my new money towards, that will be the most beneficial to me, and greatly improve my sound! (other than me continuing to practice and learn) =]

Heres a list of my gear:

KRK RP8s
Presonus Firestudio Project
Monster Cables (the kind with the big ends, budget haha)
DDrum Pro trigger set
PODxt w/all model packs (usually just use for tracking)
Rode NT5s (OHs and acoustic guitar)
at3035

Wow...I just realized thats all I really have haha

*also if getting a new interface isnt a good idea, my budget will go from $500 to around $350*

Thanks
-Zach

How about you list all of the gear you have, and we'll try to help you decide what you should upgrade?

Also, what do you struggle with most in regards to audio engineering? Maybe a gear upgrade isn't the answer to that.

Well Im not really stuggling in one particular area, Im just unfamiliar and havent developed a great ear yet, and I understand that. Im not really looking for a peice of gear to automatically make me better haha, just want to treat myself to a nice peice of gear, and one that will make a noticable improvement hopefully! yaknow?

I'm making 13 bass traps (4 of them are 6ft x 2ft and the rest are 4ft x 2ft) and I haven't been this excited about any of the other gear I've bought. I'm getting HS80M's next week and I'm more excited about the Bass Traps, apparently they'll make a bigger difference to your sound than any new piece of equipment. I did a frequency response test in my room the other day and I realised that at my listening position, 80hz is missing, completely. My mixes always sound muddy as fuck. If you've not got "the ear" maybe it would help to sort your room out :)

The Pre that you have is fine, stick with it. Get something that'll make a noticeable difference :)

Great idea! I think I will do that rather than buying a profire.

Yea I have a guide from the johnslayer website called like the $25 DIY acoustic treatment project, so Ill prob just try to make some myself.

Anyone know the best place to get materials for it? USA btw.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! All I have right now is moving blankets hung up allover the walls haha.

Would anyone mind if I made a shitty paint drawing of my recording space and someone could draw over it where the bass traps and broadband panels should go?

Again thanks =]

You can get materials from most any diy home improvement store. Getting the good stuff (Owens Corning) may be a bit harder to find(and more expensive).

But FYI, you can make great panels with the cheaper stuff too, sometimes all it takes is making them a little thicker.

I found owens corning on an ebay store for a good price I think.

what do you mean "diy" store, just like home depot, or lowes?

In the tutorial it says 2" for broadband, 4" for bass trap. so for bass traps I guess itd just be 2 peices of owens, and 1 for broadband. whatever gets the job done! =]

Well Roxul makes a very close product, for half the price of the OC 703/705....

The absorption numbers are similar, the only real difference is the Roxul stuff is only semi-rigid, so building a wooden frame is a must.

As for DIY stores, yes, check out places like home depot or lowes. They are hit or miss though on the good rigid fiberglass. Even better would be to go to a true contractor construction store(google for some in your area). They will have tons of insulation, and usually much cheaper than they sell it for online.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10297

heres that thread i was talking about, looks like the insulation lays on top of the frame? rather than it being inside the frame. Im assuming its held on by the burlap fabric that is stapled/spray glued on?

I dont mind spending a little more money for shipping online or anything, I just wanna find some cheap (preferably black) fabric to cover it with.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10297

heres that thread i was talking about, looks like the insulation lays on top of the frame? rather than it being inside the frame. Im assuming its held on by the burlap fabric that is stapled/spray glued on?

I dont mind spending a little more money for shipping online or anything, I just wanna find some cheap (preferably black) fabric to cover it with.

You can really do it any way you would like, that's the beauty of it. Personally, I would build the frame around the panel, and then cover everything.

right on man, I might try them both ways and see which one is sturdier, easier etc.

Well I guess the only question I need to ask before this thread dies is...where should I put them once I get them, and how many?

I was thinking 12 (4 boxes of 6) would this be enough? my room is roughly 18L, 10W, 10H, in FEET. hell anything will be better than nothing.

Also, how many bass traps?

Thanksss:)

Have a look on ww.realtraps.com for placement, but generally you want to get your corners and first reflection points done and then look at everything else :)

I'm using this tutorial for my traps

Last edited by a moderator: