Improvisational metal/rock bands?

Jun 18, 2008
i was listining to liquid tension expirement the other day and it got me thinking when i heard 3 minute warning. i guess the songs name is supposed to convey where Levin wanted to improvise as opposed to Petrucci and Portnoy wanting to carefully write songs. Levin eventually told the others that if they didn't start to jam in three minutes, he'd just go home.the "Three Minute Warning" part 1-5 is what followed. those songs are pretty sweet and i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? anyone know other bands that improv?....doesnt even have to be metal. improv is a truly great thing where you can get amazing muscians together and just let them loose and they shred...:headbang:

never heard of one but i imagine it would be pretty sweet

Check out Crime Slunk Scene, Electric Tears and Monsters & Robots as well. Lot of weird stuff.

Just some other that came to mind -
Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe(they have a weird awesome bassist)
Spastic Ink - Ink Compatible(weird stuff again)
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium, Frances the Mute, The Bedlam in Goliath. Pretty much everything actually.(not exactly metal..but 0mG wTf Chaotic stuff which you might like)

cool man...i got crime slunk scene from buckethead, spastic ink is sick as fuck, spiral architect music is dope but i cant get into the vocals at all,just got into mars volta recently and its pretty dope which is kind of ironic that i just got into them cuz ive been into at the drive in for a while now....i love new interesting and tech shit:headbang:

man, this topic is great. LTE is very good, but not enough.

i think you should listen to:

sol niger within
niacin
tribal tech
chick corea
uncle moe's space ranch
dixie dregs
cab
frank gambale
the flower kings
frameshift (with sebastian bach)
planet x
tony macalpine
ark

wow thanks for the reccomendations...out of that list of have only heard sol niger within and planet x which i really love. ark is on sensory records and ive been meaning to check them out. jazz/metal fusion is amazing isint it?:headbang:

Esoteric has a 13 minute improvisational song on their cd "The Pernicious Enigma". It's called "NOSBX9701040" and it's a really spacey psychadelic jam. Pretty interesting stuff, actually.

There's a lot of great improvisational rock bands like Ten Years After, Led Zeppelin, The Grateful Dead etc. But for bands that have any kind of a metallic edge the only thing I could think of would be Nirvana's improvs Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip, The Other Improv, and Endless Nameless. But that's not exactly the amazing musicians you seem to be looking for. Improv does seem less common with modern and heavy bands as far as I've seen.

If you wanna go with some earlier rock stuff I reccomend Live At The Fillmore by Ten Years After. Amazing musicianship there. Also try to find a Led Zeppelin live show from 1977, they do an awesome 30 minute version of No Quarter.

well if you don't mind older instrumental/progressive stuff(without much of the modern polished sound), check out these-

Mahavishnu Orchestra (jazz-rock/fusion)
Weather Report (same as above)
Pat Metheny (read above)
Goblin (instrumental/soundtrack)
Hawkwind (awesome space-rock)
Mike Oldfield (Instrumental progressive-electronic stuff)
Camel (They have a guitarist who sounds like David Gilmour on steroids)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (they are known for their instrumental masturbation)

Behold...the Arctopus had a very improv feel on their 'Arctopocalypse Now... Warmageddon Later' EP, they've kinda lost it with their newer stuff though.

Can't say I care for them all that much but MATH is a strictly improv rock band. Started by Chuck of Time of Orchids (now disbanded).