In a bit of a shitter (need hulp Cubase guys)

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
:bah:

Had a band in last week, thought I'd make it easier for me and mix the 5 songs in one session...ohoho sweet jesus my computer is going incredibly slow it takes about 5 minutes to do something that takes 10 seconds usually.

Is there anyway of exporting so that when I open it, it contains the one song I have exported with all my settings and things still configured?

I'm using Cubase 5 aswell...

you're saving my arse if you can suggest something!

just make 5 copies of the project and cut away everything that's not needed.
just make sure oyu have a good backup, if anything gets fucked up.

cheers
S.

Have you consolidated all regions and deleted unused files? I can't understand why your computer is dying if you've already done that...

EDIT: Also, say you have songs a, b, c, d and e. In your 5 song session do a new Save As... then delete all songs other than A, "Save copy in..." (that's PT) and repeat for the others... might be a bit less CPU intensive rather than saving a hench session a further 4 times...

I haven't consolidated anything yet, all the fades on all tracks are still there, that's probably why there's so much lag. I'm always paranoid about removing files though, proper shits me up :lol:

Seems like a bit of a pain to keep exporting track by track, unless theres a quicker way? Batch export has an awkward workaround with the mono files which I can't be doing with

I'd say stop being a girl and consolidate. ;)

Those fades are going to be slowing your system down in a baaad way. You'll be fine after that. I see no reason to mix in one session though... automation is one of the most crucial yet mind numbing parts of creating a good mix - you're just making life harder like this IMO. I'd lose track of pre-fader sends, reverb length automation, EQ automation and fuuuck knows what else. Just save as a template without audio, go into that session and clear any automation, then consolidate all the files of each song to the same length, give them decent names and then import them into your mix template.

Ain't nuttin' but a work flow ting.

OK.....

It seems I've hit a much bigger problem, I removed unused files from one of the sessions and then I went to a different project (song4) and none of its files were there!?
where the fuck do they go after being removed from the pool??????
Is there anyway of recovering these?

dude...

just make sure you have a good backup, if anything gets fucked up.

that's what i wrote in the first post!!!!

when deleting files the pool, the files are moved to a recycle bin,
so the files should be still there, go to te RB and move the files
back into the pool.

cheers
S.

did the recycle bin thing work or did jou just get the files back from the backup?
generally removing unused files from the pool should cause no problems.
just make sure you never use the cubase "clear" function! :D

i've learned NEVER to use "remove unused media" in cubase. its a surefire way to delete something by accident, and short of data recovery options you're pretty much screwed. i've lost full drum sessions before and had to tell the band to retrack..not cool.

use "save project to new folder"/"backup session", then delete the old folder manually after checking the new session first heheh.

I've done this before, and continue to do it. Because I'm an idiot and I enjoy the pain.

Get your mix into a ball park. Duplicate the entire project directory, once for each song it contains. Open each copy one at a time and remove everything but the content for the song the folder represents.

Mix the first song and make a preset for every insert or EQ on each channel, make notes in a notepad/text editor of what you have loaded and load it up on each subsequent song.

This is what I tend to do. Or you can get your drums in a ballpark scenario and then render/bounce them down to separate WAV/AIFF files and re-import them and disable all of the original inserts to save CPU/headroom. I've done this in order to keep all of the songs in a single project as well.

Cheers.

I think I might have a faster way: Use the play order track.

For each song, use the playorder track to make it "part." Make a new arrangement with only the first song in it. With only one part then use flatten. Then do a "Save As" to that song name. Then hit Undo, make an arrangement of only Part B, etc.

I think when you even do a Save Project to New Folder you can select it to only take the audio files it needs and leaves the rest.

Of course make sure you have a good backup and don't save the original project.

But I can typically do flattens and bounces of the playorder track really quickly. Then the saves only takes the files it needs rather than having to move around all the files from all the songs.

Once the songs are in their own files. Changes between this is a bit of a bitch. Templates can work, but Mixer Settings has been my favorite one. Especially at this point since all the tracks match. But even if they don't I will do drums, the main guitars, vocals etc. Than manually do any of the weird tracks like bass solos, or acoustic guitars, or guest vocalists, etc.

It is a bitch, but I haven't found a better way.