Ermz' Production Tips Compendium (for the newer guys)

A pure gold this thread is. Makes me to review some of of my actions, like the "benefit of the doubt" thing. Thanks man.

What a great material this is!!

As a home studio owner/do-it-all musician, once upon a time I used to record, record and record stuff. At first you think EVERYTHING you do/record is 'pure-sonic-gold'. But, if you allow some time to go by, you will realize what true value each of your ideas has (and also realize that most of them are not even worth spending much +time on). Strange how one can be instantly judgemental and harshly critic of someone else's work, but how it takes a considerable amount of time acquiring the same level of criticism over one's stuff.

Nowadays I am obssesed trying to have a 'decent guitar tone'. I look back and wonder how I was even able to record stuff with the tone(s) I had. As I hear some of the posts in here I think to myself ''oh, shit, this is the best tone ever''. Then I listen to another that makes me forget about the previous one.

In defense of the noobs, or I don´t know if it's just me, but there's sum about this forum that makes it look 'kinda messy' (maybe the black-ish bkg?)

I sure miss those days in which I recorded actual music and advanced in my songs, without being so self-conscious about tone :(

Ermz' man I can't thank you enough for the post- like everyone else has said in their own experience, you hit the nail on the head with everything. I too am guilty of most of what you wrote- your Full Circle section was crazy man... I had to stop reading for a while and though about that. Makes me feel a whole lot better about my position knowing that I'm not alone. Very informative and humbling post- If you were to write a book I would buy it as well hahaha

Thank you so much, this will be referred to down the road many times for me

Thanx a lot Ermz!

very good material and a pleasure-to-read style. I want to read it again several times. Very deep and lotsa food for thought.

Shogger

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any Metallica guitar presets for Guitar Rig 2?

:loco:

sorry that was a bad joke, man Emz that was fantastic information, thanks ever so much!

|m| ERMZ great post |m|

i have one tip for you all ...
NEVER have any hope that the band you recording are pro musicians that will record without problems...
because your hope will be brutally raped...

As Mixerman once said:

1)Assume the worst at all times... then multiply that by 3.
2)Expect nothing other than a long litany of suffering. You'll be less disappointed.
3)Stop expecting to like your own work in the long run. If it ever happens, be very concerned,
it usually means you've peaked, and worse yet... yer probably in decline.

and of course

4)Attach some sort of price to EVERYTHING. Things that don't have a price attached to them are usually perceived as worthless,
no matter what their ACTUAL value is. It's human nature.

I believe this was actually from Slipperman on the Womb Forums which is Mixerman's.