A few VCC related tips!

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Mix with it on, right from the start. I literally added the plugs with the faders down, pulled a bit of a rough mix, set my bus comp, chose which model I wanted for the track then went for it.

This is a great time to set input and drive controls for different channels as I found in my own workflow with the plug you can push it a hell of a lot more if you do it on a dry mix and then almost compensate for what the desk is doing. I found if your pushing things later in the mix for experimentation it starts not working quite as well as you've already got a lot of processing on the track.

It's also a good practice in my opinion to not process so much with this plug, as in think how you would on an actual desk when you only have one instance of EQ and dynamics per channel, and limited outboard. Don't put 6 inserts on each track just because you can, get the mojo from the plug!

Also BritN pushed really hard, early on particularly on Drums, Bass and the 2 bus is one of the most awesome things for more rock orientated material.

Long story short: Think like your mixing on a console not in a DAW and go to town.

I don't like the BritN on drums, prefer SSL model there. But Britn on heavy guitars are awesome. Saturate it to the max and it is heaven. Thickens it up and just makes it sound AWESOME :D

Personally I love the BritN on Drums, although I was using it on a kind of Rocky Hardcore band today and the smeary transients we're just the thing they needed and I loved what it did just absolutely dimed on Room Mics.

Not that this is realistic at all, but have tried chaining instances of consoles yet? Say mixing the Brit4k and BritN? That could yield some fun results...

BritN on heavy guitars is almost like an instant win button however.

I don't like the BritN on drums, prefer SSL model there. But Britn on heavy guitars are awesome. Saturate it to the max and it is heaven. Thickens it up and just makes it sound AWESOME :D

This. 4K on drums and BritN on high gain guitars, sometimes even on vocals it may yield some nice and thick results, depending on the source obviously!

Yeah and i really like the saturation and the mids of the BritN on guitars, but i think it alters the drums to much using it on that source. THe SSL kind of beef things up a bit and that is why i like it on drums.

And i don't use VCC on t he master buss anymore. Don't like it there. It seems to add some sort of compression on the expense of separation in the mix.

More often than not, whenever you see initials in here, it's gonna be some Slate stuff :lol:

Do you guys use it alway as the first plugin in your chain? How much CPU eats this thing? I would imagine that it will eat my vst-power while using on all channels.
Cant mess arround, cause waiting for the ilok :(.

I use it most of the time as my first plugin in the chain.
But there are things that naturally need it after some other plugins, imo.
Of course after Trigger;)
But I also like it after the notch of the Bass-Grit track to adjust the "meanness" better, for example...

A cool thing to try is also to REALLY push VCC (just G-Clip or something that makes the signal just louder) and add a EQ or something to reduce the level for the same amount after VCC.
You cann easily A/B and shape the signal with the different consoles soo nice...

This plugin is a godsend.

Edit:
And BritN is by far my favourite for vocals, if you enable it they'll just slip a little bit down in the mix and seem to sit instantly nice.

FFS guys, this sounds like a killer plugin and I wont have money for ages....somebody buy my bass or something!

Still want to hear some demo's of this though.

I'm sure he meant audio demos...:Smug:
I know. I put up the link so he could check the stuff by himself, which I think is still much better than talking and not giving the guy anything he asked.

Do you have any audio demos? If yes, don't be a smart ass and show 'em to him.

I know. I put up the link so he could check the stuff by himself, which I think is still much better than talking and not giving the guy anything he asked.

Do you have any audio demos? If yes, don't be a smart ass and show 'em to him.

Sheesh...relax. I clicked your link expecting some audio demos from Slate, so I was just pointing out that your post was a bit ambiguous.
If I had an iLok I'd demo VCC for sure...