VCC test / All models included

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hello,

I thought i'd do a VCC test for you all to listen to since a new update was released today 1.3.5. I hadn't updated VCC since the first beta so i was a bit surprised that the Brit N had changed so much, it was more subtle now which was a good thing, the effect is way more subtle on all models btw than it was from the first releases. And i had zero problems with VCC ever, and i had it on 2 machines, it was a CPU hog before but that was about it.

With the new update CPU usage has decreased with about 50% so now i can finally do a full project with VCC and CPU hit is around 60-70% on a quad 2.6 AMD. Remember that the project is full with other plugins.

The test is VCC on all channels and busses and one mixbus on the master. VCC mixbus was on 2x sample.

The only thing i wish for is that they would release an Audiosuite plugin so we can run the bastard on x320 sample rate :D
My favorite is probably Brit N, just listen to how the kick responds, much more punch and lowend, maybe not suited for fast metal
but for Rock it is awesome!!! 4k seems to be a nice middleground if you want to play it safe.

Download and import to DAW. And thank you Ola for the song and DI's

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12967127/VCC TEST.rar

/ Christian

hi christian,

i`ve got slates sales-mail today and i thought about buying it. so your comparison comes to the right time for me ;) thanks a lot!!
i hear slightly differences in the files. but i`m in the very beginning of mixing and i don`t think that these subtle differences will make my mixes any better...
better to spend my money on some more essential things for me at the moment (more acoustic treatment) and work more with the basics (eq, comp, automation ect).
sorry steven ;) but maybe in some months....

thanks again!
cheers, markus

Well personally I like the Api. It seems like there's quite a bit more separation going on with that enabled. Overall they all have more low end and overall crispness. But I don't know if it's worth the $180 I'd have to spend to get VCC with the new ilok2. Is this plugin a must have at that price?

It is quite subtle i'd say. And it only improves the mix a few %. Nothing big but the better you become at mixing every few procent is quite allot so i think it is worth every penny!!

this thing is does WAY fucking more than a few % to your mix. it's DRAMATIC as fuck when you apply it properly and more importantly, gain stage it correct.... hitting it really hard can sound amazing.

in your tests, i like the 4K by FAR. I am in LOVE with the newest 1.3.5 version of ALL the consoles but the 4k instantly makes everything sound like a classic, AWESOME record.. =D sonically speaking

this thing is does WAY fucking more than a few % to your mix. it's DRAMATIC as fuck when you apply it properly and more importantly, gain stage it correct.... hitting it really hard can sound amazing.

in your tests, i like the 4K by FAR. I am in LOVE with the newest 1.3.5 version of ALL the consoles but the 4k instantly makes everything sound like a classic, AWESOME record.. =D sonically speaking

Sorry, but I have to disagree quite drastically here. I for one love VCC, and use it on pretty much all my mixes, but in my experience 1) hitting it really hard on more than just a couple of channels easily makes the mix simply muddy 2) it's definitely not "DRAMATIC as fuck" and absolutely doesn't make everything sound like a classic, awesome record, but like Crillemannen said, it can be the extra little something to bring an awesome mix to an even more awesome level.

It's a great tool, if you know what you want from it, but don't expect a magic bullet that will make your mixes better on its own.

besides the sound (which is subtle) it makes your mix more 3D, adds more separation to the mix, and each channel and the masterbus take compression way better.

Its a lot of cash but I think its worth it.

As always, the most extreme I'd want to get with this saturation stuff is the 4k. The Neve excels at making anything sound muddy, and that's the same case with Nebla. The 4k adds just enough glue and density, at the expense of only minimal fidelity and clarity, so I think it can be made to work with metal in a good way.

As always, the most extreme I'd want to get with this saturation stuff is the 4k. The Neve excels at making anything sound muddy, and that's the same case with Nebla. The 4k adds just enough glue and density, at the expense of only minimal fidelity and clarity, so I think it can be made to work with metal in a good way.

this is what I do :)
sometimes I create a second desk only for guitars and vocals.
So drums go to the SSL 4k (to stay sharp and tight) and bass to keep the clank alive.
Guitars go to neve console as do vocals and get driven realy hard.

Kurt balou works with three desks as far as I know and every desk stays in the red most of the time :)

^

I have usually used the Neve on Guitars because i like the softening of the highs and the depth it gives you. I'd probably go all neve on rock, and as you guys said 4k on metal.
Nice plugin though :D

Sorry, but I have to disagree quite drastically here. I for one love VCC, and use it on pretty much all my mixes, but in my experience 1) hitting it really hard on more than just a couple of channels easily makes the mix simply muddy 2) it's definitely not "DRAMATIC as fuck" and absolutely doesn't make everything sound like a classic, awesome record, but like Crillemannen said, it can be the extra little something to bring an awesome mix to an even more awesome level.

It's a great tool, if you know what you want from it, but don't expect a magic bullet that will make your mixes better on its own.

my post was directly related to MY experience with it. i said if you APPLY it properly and gain-stage accordingly, the results speak for themselves. it's not going to sound like a 10dB high-shelf type of extreme but that of course was not my point.

i DO however, agree with you that it's NOT a magic bullet that will makes your mixes better INSTANTLY. that was far from my intent.

and hitting it hard, (especially 2BUSS) sounds great to me. i'm not saying to absolutely kick the shit out of it but for MY workflow and strange 'out of the box' ITB mixing (whoa crazy), it's perfect.

my techniques are a lot different than many around here but trust me when I say.... I wouldnt want to mix a record without it.

on another note the bew V1.1 of SatSon is beautiful as well. I use it mainly on guitars and use the channel for it's HP/LP on tons of tracks. Love it.

on 2BUSS, the results are much more noticeable.

CHYEA.

Can't for the life of me decide whether to buy this or not.

Me either. I keep reading threads about it hoping there will be some magic bullet that will convince me. Can't even demo it without the ilok2 though.

Are there better things I can spend $200 on right now?