VCC test / All models included

Already have Nebula, which more or less does the same thing. Firstly, not sure if this is any better. The only potential benefit could be the fact that it's so low CPU it can run real-time. Then again that can be a drawback if the sound is inferior.

EDIT: Anyone got some un-processed stems so we can shoot the two out? I'll process with Alex B CLC and one of you dudes can process with the Brit 4k. We'll keep the gains matched, and the levels at around -18. Or maybe two versions. One at -18 and another pushing up to -6 for some color.

The one thing I've noticed, is that it took a few mix sessions with VCC to really get a feel for it. The more I mix from the ground up with it, the more I'm sold on what it's doing. I'm usually just running it across each channel, and then one on the 2buss.

Sample kits, vst amps, impulses - it all sounds good with vcc, but it's on real sources that it's impressing me.

Sure Christian... but are there a ton of individual tracks? Did you apply VCC only to the busses in those clips? We need to make sure it's a fair test. I'm happy to do a real basic one like processing 5 stems and the master bus. That's usually enough to give you a feel for what it does.

Already have Nebula, which more or less does the same thing. Firstly, not sure if this is any better. The only potential benefit could be the fact that it's so low CPU it can run real-time. Then again that can be a drawback if the sound is inferior.

EDIT: Anyone got some un-processed stems so we can shoot the two out? I'll process with Alex B CLC and one of you dudes can process with the Brit 4k. We'll keep the gains matched, and the levels at around -18. Or maybe two versions. One at -18 and another pushing up to -6 for some color.

Just a heads up if you're not aware of it, Alex has shootouts on his site. And there the shootouts are to the exact counterpart SSL vs SSL, etc. If you do try your own with the Brit N, Alex's Vintage Blue would be more appropiate.

I ended up buying it, couldn't resist especially with the sales offer. I love Nebula too, I use it with MLC and it helps to make digital drums sound much more realistic. The VCC Brit 4K seems to do that trick quite well also, but when I put on the Brit N I have to agree with SigmundFreud32 that it's not a subtle effect at all. It gives a much more rounded sound with lots of low end. I tried what crillemannen said and used the Brit N on guitars only (4K for the rest of the mix) and I really like that. When driven hard, it doesn't seem to saturate that hard like Nebula with MLC does, but I'm not after that effect anyways. Also nice is that it's really low on cpu use. Can easily put it on all tracks and even when I try 8x oversampling in real time I can still work on te mix if I wanted that. The only channel I don't like too much is the Trident one, but maybe it comes to use sometimes. The grouping feature is usefull too.

Here's a little test I did on a sweep, all gain on zero. Not detailed and doesn't show at all how the plugin really works of course.

VCC_Sweep.jpg

Holy fuck this plugin is good. I just got it tonight and haven't had much time to use it on, so I just chucked it on a mix I was playing around with (someone posted the DI's up here), so I haven't even tried mixing with it on from scratch, but wow.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Aixlog6 noVCC.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Aixlog6 VCC.mp3

HUGE fucking difference jesus christ. Where has this plugin been all my life?! I may have overdone it a bit (pretty much everything is on unity gain though), and there's a bit of loudness and compression difference between the two, but still, it's more alive, it moves and the frequency spectrum is just nicer to listen to.

edit:
Not sure if I'm using it right, I'm putting one of the 'channel' instances on every track where it would come in after the microphone if they're fake tracks (ie. after Trigger, after an amp sim impulse, etc.), then a 'bus' instance on the drumbus, guitar bus, bass bus, etc. all these are grouped with the built in groupy thingy. Then I've got another bus instance on the masterbus before everything else. Is this right? With bass, do you just put it on the bass bus, or do you put it on all the tracks (including the retard ones with a thousand plugins)?

With bass I usually find a single instance is enough on the bass group with Neb. It's too easy to destroy low-end fidelity, so go easy on your bass-centric elements.

I bought this thing the other night. If the iLok 2 arrives before I start the next album mix I'll build it with VCC, then when the mix is finished I'll print it, pull VCC down and do the super ultimate, end-all Nebula vs VCC shoot-out so I can start sleeping again.

With bass I usually find a single instance is enough on the bass group with Neb. It's too easy to destroy low-end fidelity, so go easy on your bass-centric elements.

I bought this thing the other night. If the iLok 2 arrives before I start the next album mix I'll build it with VCC, then when the mix is finished I'll print it, pull VCC down and do the super ultimate, end-all Nebula vs VCC shoot-out so I can start sleeping again.

Thats awesome man. Post the verdict ASAP when you're done :)