The short tips thread

At least, when I'm recording I over-record. I use all the inputs on my interface - just in case - you know.

That said, LBTM, I'd be really curious to hear that end result!

They haven't released it yet, and I don't have permission to post it here. I'll post a link when it gets out.

dont underestimate how high you can HPF distorted guitars. especially if you have "big" drums. you can create a LOAD more space for the bass and drums to punch through.

It's kind of funny reading "don't HP guitars above 120Hz". every track works differently. sometimes i'll HP at 120Hz and other on 220Hz. Every time it depends. Use your ears and judge by yourself and not on a stupid tutorial you've read. There are no rules.

While I'm mastering separately I like to keep an EQ on the maser buss cutting some 2-4K and adding some 9K+ before even starting mixing, as I always do that while mastering.

It's kind of funny reading "don't HP guitars above 120Hz". every track works differently. sometimes i'll HP at 120Hz and other on 220Hz. Every time it depends. Use your ears and judge by yourself and not on a stupid tutorial you've read. There are no rules.

So you have rules and you don't?

This thread is poor; non-specific and unstructured with more bad advice than good.

So you have rules and you don't?

This thread is poor; non-specific and unstructured with more bad advice than good.

This is no a rule. It's something I do because it sounds good to me most of the times. I should replace "always" with "most of the times" in the post above. And of course this thread is not specific and have bad advices but it's about what works best for everyone. I'm mixing professionally for some years now and I think all the advice I gave is OK. --

One more. If you bought a good plugin and you really like it (like a saturator) don't abuse it by for example throwing 2 of them on every instrument and 2 on the master buss because "they sound good". They key is finding the balance. Abusing a good plugin will ruin the mix.

Most of what I would say has allready been said, but I might add a variation

Less eye -> more ear (since most guys here seem to be working mostly ITB)

oh and I also haven't seen

get your gain staging right (also obviously more towards ITB, since it's more obvious to look at that with outboard)

Learn the art of listening. Especially when making volume or EQ decisions. Put your mouse on a volume fader, close your eyes, press play and start moving it until it sounds right. Don't judge by the meters.

Bump.

^ Wheres the correlation between meters/levels and editing? totally unrelated.

my tip of the day is: The importance of tempo mapping cannot be over-stated.

You misunderstood what I said. :rolleyes:

Quite possible. I was merely pointing to your previous words about editing.. I just find it hilarious that people always preach fuck the meters yet edit by sight to grid. I was just implying: Why is it okay to make decisions considering rhythm and feel, by sight if it's not okay to make tonal desicisions by sight?

^ point taken.

when it comes to metal, i think it's become unusual not to edit drums to the grid, in other genres your point is still relevant, although there are other ways to achieve the same effect such as proper tempo mapping.
Editing is a bit different from tonal decisions tough, since it's only possible to do by sight and it's one of the main differences between the digital and the analog realm.