The Ultimate " Mixing Tips " Thread

Focus on the song as a whole, not the instruments and their sounds when solo'ed. Solo just to check or build a foundation.

This is incredibly hard to grasp and easier said than done but sometimes you have to sacrifice certain freqs and tones of your favourite instrument.

For example, we all listened to thousands of records full of shitty tones that sound like an actual record and listened to shitty records or demos that sound terrible with a killer drum or guitar tone. If I have to choose, I'd take the former.

The song chooses you and dictates the sound, not the other way round. Make the most out of the song, not the tones or tracks.

Focus on the song as a whole, not the instruments and their sounds when solo'ed. Solo just to check or build a foundation.

This is incredibly hard to grasp and easier said than done but sometimes you have to sacrifice certain freqs and tones of your favourite instrument.

For example, we all listened to thousands of records full of shitty tones that sound like an actual record and listened to shitty records or demos that sound terrible with a killer drum or guitar tone. If I have to choose, I'd take the former.

The song chooses you and dictates the sound, not the other way round. Make the most out of the song, not the tones or tracks.

But that is the problem that I have, when mixing all instruments, I hear this fizz that I think is at a certain frequency, I dip it a little bit, then I hear another one etcc. At the end my guitar sounds dull in the mix without fizz though. Makes me crazy.