Print Tracks Before Mixing

I print all soft synths/midi drums, drum samples, and auto tune. I basically print anything that if I came back 2 years later to revisit a song, I wouldn't have to worry about some sounds not coming back cause a particular plug/sample bank doesn't exist on my machine anymore.

EXACTLY,
Thus spake someone else who has done this for a living

printing is good. make decisions and when you know they're right, commit. its impossible to mix a bazillion tracks with loads of shit going on. the more simple you make things, the less you have to think about and the easier you'll find mixes.

committing is the hard part, but arguably those decisions are the most important ones in the whole process.

I think fewer tracks even makes for better mixes too.

I only really print amp sims, maximum oversampling / quality, also VCC / VTM max oversampling. This is both to save CPU and to lock in a tone. Once you discipline yourself to lock in a amp tone, it makes other mix decisions so much easier

Are most people dialling the amp sim in the context of the mix when the mix is 90 % there? Or are most of you just getting a great tone at the start and fitting it into the mix later?

Are most people dialling the amp sim in the context of the mix when the mix is 90 % there? Or are most of you just getting a great tone at the start and fitting it into the mix later?

Getting a good tone that you know is going to work/fit from the get go.

At the start as though that's the 'sound' that I recorded as raw - kind of pre-mixing.

Ok, so I realized I've always rendered tracks instead of freezing them. Yesterday I froze some distorted guitar tracks, and for some reason, the volume of the frozen tracks was much lower than the volume of the tracks with the active plug-ins. This normal?