Polishing turds, the tips and tricks thread

Bricasti RedRoom impulse with proper enveloping and eq underneath dry guitars, especially sims, have helped get a larger and slightly more three dimensional sound. Being able to automate it in a separate bus also helps.

What plugin are you using for this that has envelope controls? Only one I know of off hand is the one from LiquidSonics called Reverberate.

Totally worth it if the musicians are capable of playing tight enough. I've been using that trick for the past few months and it really does help marry the guitar tracks to the bass and oddly adds girth to the guitars without muddying up the mix.

this method sounds very interesting, can you show us an example where this is used? i would love to know how this sounds.

It was used on this track from my old band, which was done by Johnny K.

Last edited by a moderator:
this method sounds very interesting, can you show us an example where this is used? i would love to know how this sounds.

IIRC there is a thread somewhere outlining Machine Shop doing the same by reamping DI tracks with tubescreamers alone. Fills out mids really well for a bit of beef. the Fuzz pedal does add some weird crunchy presence, moreso than the TS. I dig it.

@Josh
SIR1 has an envelope shaper slider that just curves the impulse more. Right under Predelay and Attack. I'll mess with it depending on how mush more prominent I like it on mutes and different things where the room sound might be more apparent or whatever.

sir5.gif

@RedDog

We need to find that thread because I mentioned in to Jeff in that Putney/TAIM thread and wasn't able to find it