In Anticipation of Flight of the Valkyries 2008 - Requests?

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
I haven't posted on here in awhile, but I just wanted to let all of our Sonic Cathedral friends know that FOTV will be bringing you yet another awesome festival of all female-fronted metal for a second year in a row coming to St. Paul in 2008.

We have some ideas and plans in the works, but The SwordLord and I would like to get an idea of which bands the fans are interested in seeing at next year's festival, so please feel free to post any of your requests or thoughts on that topic here.

Please try to keep in mind the varying degrees of bands (headliners, mid-level bands, national and local openers) that are needed to create a full and reasonable bill for the festival and the variety of genres (power, progressive, death, black, thrash, symphonic, etc.) that FOTV wants to represent.

It would be great if everyone who posts here could take these things into consideration and try to name a few bands that fit each of these different categories. Descriptions and links to Web sites or Myspace pages are also appreciated.

Thank you all for being the greatest fans!

Ladies and Gentleman, the floor is all yours ... :headbang:

If you are going to do this, here is my list:

The Legion of Hetheria (Mexico)
Pettalom (Brazil)
Matriarch (All female blackened death metal band from Puerto Rico)
Battlelore (FIN)
Midnattsol (NOR)

And, last but not least (And I will love you long time if you do...)

SERAPHIM!:headbang::headbang::headbang: (TPE)

If you are going to do this, here is my list:

The Legion of Hetheria (Mexico)
Pettalom (Brazil)
Matriarch (All female blackened death metal band from Puerto Rico)
Battlelore (FIN)
Midnattsol (NOR)

And, last but not least (And I will love you long time if you do...)

SERAPHIM!:headbang::headbang::headbang: (TPE)

Love Seraphim and Battlelore! :headbang: I've heard of Midnattsol, but need to refresh my memory on their sound. I will have to check out the others. Thanks for the input! :kickass:

Are there any fem-fronted bands from the US that you would like to see?

I've heard of Midnattsol, but need to refresh my memory on their sound.
To help you out a bit, here´s their myspace-page: http://www.myspace.com/midnattsolfolk

And a clip on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5pmbqxIQo
(performed at the Metal Female Voices Fest 2006)

(BTW, Midnattsol are actually a German band - except of vocalist Carmen Elise Espenæs, who is in fact from Norway, though, as far as I know, she now also lives in Germany.)

np: Midnattsol - "Lament"

Love Seraphim and Battlelore! :headbang: I've heard of Midnattsol, but need to refresh my memory on their sound. I will have to check out the others. Thanks for the input! :kickass:

Are there any fem-fronted bands from the US that you would like to see?

Matriarch was a band I mentioned. Quite possibly Mastermind and Brave. Mastermind is more prog, and has Jens Johannsson on the ivories.

Well, folks, I'm new in this particular forum....

I do second the recommendation of Battlelore, Seraphim, and Midnattsol. Seraphim, if I recall there MySpace page correctly, are planning a 2008 visit to the USA anyway so that could work out well for your endeavor.

Battlelore would damn near force me to attend this festival! Something about that band that just "does it" for me. :headbang: Seraphim are a close second to that.

What is your planned month (I realize things can change but...) that this festival would occur? Texas Madfest and PPVIII were my first two out of town festivals but I think if I properly budget my time and finances I could conceivably do more. Anyhow, I like the premise of your festival and think it could be something very nice.

As far as new bands to add to those suggested, well, I'm no expert. Shadow are a female-fronted melodic death outfit from Japan but that's a budget blower for sure and I'm not even sure if the band is still together. The Agonist seem to have a wee bit of popularity but they really don't do anything for me. I fairly recently made contact with a Venezuelan-based band called Zephyrus who seem to have a world of potential for such young musicians but I can't see them being a practical or viable option for you. Arch Enemy just toured the USA very recently although I missed them and would love to see them live. So I really haven't helped you have I? :loco:

Thank you for all the great recommendations, everyone! This is awesome!

Please keep them coming!

What is your planned month (I realize things can change but...) that this festival would occur? Texas Madfest and PPVIII were my first two out of town festivals but I think if I properly budget my time and finances I could conceivably do more. Anyhow, I like the premise of your festival and think it could be something very nice.

I believe Nathan is planning on late spring/early summer. Last year (well, actually earlier this year - 2007) the fest fell in mid-June, but that strongly conflicted with Father's Day and I think Nathan wants to avoid that this year. Nick and I will be making the trek once again from Baltimore. It was sooo much fun last year and if everything that we are currently working on goes the way we are planning, this is certainly a fest you won't want to miss. I hope you can make it! :headbang:

How about After Forever (I just LOVE Floor Jansen), To-mera (singer = Julie Kiss, ex-member of Hungarian band "Without Face"), and Dendura (really unique prog. metal band from Michigan).

They all have different kinds of sounds, but would work well together in a balanced kinda way.

Plus I'd get to kill three birds w/ one stone if I could see them all in one fell swoop! :)

How could I forget Leaves' Eyes? I've adored Liv Kristine since the old Theatre of Tragedy days....

I must need more coffee today!

o_O

For U.S. female bands, check out Jaded from Massachusetts:
http://www.myspace.com/jadedrockers They play a more straightforward, classic style of Metal/Hard Rock. All-female band.

Epica - They'll already be in the States in April/May with Symphony X. I'm not sure if that's something you guys would like to avoid with this festival, but if it's not - you could find out a date they're open for and then build the festival off that.

Within Temptation - Why haven't they been mentioned in this thread yet? I'd prefer Epica but I can see where WT would be the better choice.

And I'll also second suggestions of Sirenia (If they find a replacement vocalist in time, that is), Tristania, Battlelore, Seraphim, and After Forever (They'd be really great, too.)