In appreciation of one of my closest friends

Burke

Oct 14, 2002
South Florida
I am foremost a lurker on this board over the past bunch of years. But I just wanted to get this post up because of how I am feeling a few weeks before I get to return to Atlanta for the festival that has been big part of my life for so very long.

This will be my eleventh year in a row of attending Progpower. With my two buddies Robert and Kevin, this festival has been our annual vacation and pilgrimage. No matter what else is going on during the year, Progpower is the one thing that is constant. That is unbreakable.

For the first time in a decade, something has occurred that breaks that streak.
One of my closest friends and all around great guy Kevin Devore passed on in June due to a stroke brought on by high blood pressure. At 38 years old.

Kevin was the nicest guy ever . No one who knew him had anything bad to say about the guy ever. He was a bass player and absolutely loved music so Progpower was such a special event every year.

I am so very glad and thankful we at least had that solid decade of awesome memories together, coming to Atlanta and being able to enjoy the amazing time that is the Progpower festival every year. We didn’t hang at the Artmore or do any super social kind of mingling – but PP every year was our special thing and we always had such an incredible blast at the show every single year.

Now my buddy Robert and I are confronted with the reality of coming for our eleventh year in a row…. But we will be missing something. A vital piece of us is gone…..

Our brother.

In life and in music.

It’s so very tough but for me, the festival will never 100% be the same. But if anything, I know Kevin would NOT want us to ever bail on going. So that will never be an option.
For everyone else out there who comes to the PP festival and plan to meet your good friends who you only get to see in Atlanta once a year or even if you just journey to the festival with your close friends….. remember the times you have together at this amazing show – cherish them. They are something so special that you cannot duplicate them or get them back.

Kevin – love you bro.
I’ll meet you for a cold brew when I see you on the other side, brother.

Sidenote: Kevin had already paid for his gold badge so Glenn very generously had agreed to add that badge as one of the raffle prizes you could win for the 2014 festival (in Kevin’s name). I am sure Kevin would be so very happy with that. Thank you, Glenn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss. I understand how you feel though....I lost one of my best friends several years ago and he attended the festival with us numerous times.

For everyone else out there who comes to the PP festival and plan to meet your good friends who you only get to see in Atlanta once a year or even if you just journeys to the festival with your close friends….. remember the times you have together at this amazing show – cherish them. They are something so special that you cannot duplicate them or get them back.

Yes indeed, and it scares me to think we may be on our last few ProgPowers unless somebody other than Glenn is able to take them over.

I so look forward to this and get to see everyone. I can only imagine the heartbreak of losing one of your best friends and having to face going to PP for the first time without him in the decade since.

My sincere condolences and hopefully you can make this a fond remembrance of all the great times you had coming to this with him.

I never thought what it would be like if something happened to Dave, my co-sponsor as we have been coming to this for the past 6 or so years ourselves, and then having to go on my own. I guess if I run across you, I may have to buy you a drink.

Awwww, I am so sorry for you guys! A few years ago we lost an attendee by the name of Raymond. He and I had a mutual friend and once we figured out we "sorta" knew each other, not a Progpower went by where Raymond didn't make a point to say hello. I miss his stories! A couple years ago there was also Dave (who I knew on myspace, but had never met at Progpower itself). Saddens my heart to hear news like that.

You know, one of the things that makes this fest so amazing is the people - and the posts that people have taken the time to put up are just amazing.

Thanks so much guys - it really means a lot.

1008502_10201166357188393_1229569244_o1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

This is a great shot of me and Kevin (on the left) across the street from the Residence

You know, one of the things that makes this fest so amazing is the people - and the posts that people have taken the time to put up are just amazing.

Thanks so much guys - it really means a lot.

1008502_10201166357188393_1229569244_o1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

This is a great shot of me and Kevin (on the left) across the street from the Residence
I took two pictures at that spot...one of you two posing, and this one about a second later...this shows the true essence of Kevin...he always lived in the moment, a special kind of Zen personality that is so rare nowadays. He never worried, never seemed unhappy, never was pissed off about a situation no matter how dire or unfair it might seem to those around him. The first PP he and I attended with Dave was IV. I think it was that year or the next, we had to drop Dave off at the airport and come back ourselves. He sat in the front seat, a rarity because he usually caught up on his sleep coming back and I couldn't have him just slouch over on the driver side at random. Anyway, we ended up talking about all sorts of things, both big and small, for the entire trip home. We were so involved with the subject at hand that I actually got us lost...how intense can a conversation be when it takes you to Alabama instead of Florida?

He was never boring, and never bored--the true sign of an intelligent person. He loved his nephews like they were his sons, and was lucky enough to spend a few months with them before he died.

He is the third person that Dave and I know who passed before he reached 40. You gotta take that as a sign, a message that the things you say and do today may be the legacy you take with you to your grave...because there might not be a tomorrow.

Normally we drive to Atlanta, split the cost 3 ways on the car, and have a great time up and back for the 600 mile journey. This year, David and I fly. Because the silence from the back seat would have been too much...

When you hoist your glass for the first time this year...remember the toast: "To the fallen." Then make sure you have a good time for all of those that have gone before us. I know they, like Kevin, would have wanted it that way.

The first quote in my sig line is from him, something he said on that long trip home. I take it as gospel.

It is always tough losing a bro, particularly at such a young age. My heart goes out to you.

Over the years I too have made good friendships through attending PP. In addition to being THEE musical event of the year, these friendships are what motivate my annual pilgrimage to metal mecca.

My heart goes out to both of you, in deepest sympathy.

I couldn't fathom the feeling of arriving at ProgPower knowing one of my PP friends will never be able to make it down anymore. The festival is about the music and the people. I am thinking of my closest friends that come every year, and can tell you right now that nothing would be the same... The anticipation (where we're at right now), the shows, the parties... I couldn't imagine. I will always be thankful to ProgPower for the friendships I made there. In fact, two of my three groomsmen at my wedding are guys who I met because of PPUSA.

All I know is that I am sure Kevin will be watching the festival from somewhere up there, and that he'll be looking after both of you, Robert and Dave.

I hope you guys will be raising a toast to your memories with him. I'm sure that'd make him happy.

There is nothing we can do about this now, since he is gone...but he DID get a room from Wed-Sun at the Residence just up the street...which will now go unclaimed. Maybe you can take a shot at being on some kind of waiting list, I don't know.