IN FLAMES' ANDERS FRIDÉN: 'People Love Or Hate Us — That's How It's Always Been'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
LoudTV.net recently conducted an interview with vocalist Anders Fridén of Swedish metallers IN FLAMES. You can now watch the chat below.Asked about the mixed reactions to IN FLAMES' new album, "Siren Charms", Anders said: "It's no different now from… It's always been… People love or hate us — that's how it's always been. We don't have people in between."He continued: "'The Jester Race' [1996] was the first album I did for IN FLAMES. And when we did 'Whoracle' [1997], there were some people who didn't understand 'Whoracle', 'cause they wanted 'The Jester Race' again, so they don't like it. That's how it's been through every album. And for some reason, I get the same question now as I did then. And you reporters [act] like it's something new, but it's happened every, every time."Anders added: "I don't write for the fans. I love them — don't get me wrong; I'm fucking fortunate that I can go around the world and play for people that enjoy my music, but I can't write the music that they exactly want, I have to write what I like. 'Cause I am the one that lives and dies with this music, I am the one that has to be on stage every night playing these songs. You can go home every night, if you want. "As soon as you release an album, you put yourself out there, and there will be people that like or dislike what you do; it's part of the game.""Siren Charms" sold around 9,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 26 on The Billboard 200 chart. Released in the U.S. on September 9 via Sony/RED, the CD was recorded at Hansa Tonstudios (DAVID BOWIE, DEPECHE MODE, U2) in Berlin, Germany. The cover artwork was created by Blake Armstrong of Space Boy Comics.

More...