In Flames 'Jester Race' guitar tone

mulletguy16

New Metal Member
Nov 17, 2002
Indiana, USA
www.geocities.com
Sorry to post here since it's kinda off-topic, but I haven't received any help elsewhere, so this was kinda a last-ditch effort. Alright...how in the fuck does he achieve such an amazing guitar tone on _The Jester Race_? Synths? The tone on that entire album is absolutely amazing. Any clue?

If you're talking about guitar tone, it's not that terribly difficult. In Flames use Peavey 5150 heads live with those LTD guitars. Set the midrange up pretty high, keep the bass around 5, presence around 5, gain under 5, adjust treble to taste.

In the studio however, is a different story. They still use the same 5150 heads for the majority of the sound. I'm pretty sure they recorded it at Studio Fredman in Sweden which have these three amps they like to use for guitar tones: Peavey 5150, Laney VH100R, and an Engl Savage 120. For the In Flames album, it sounds mainly like a cranked up 5150, with some of the other two amps blended in for texture.

I'm almost positive all the guitar parts are quadruple tracked, and panned around so they sit right in the mix.

It doesn't sound like there's much in the way of effect pedals on that album, so you probably don't need to be concerned with that too much. Play with LOTS of attitude (slightly behind the beat), and Voila!

Hope some of this helps.