In search of this guitar tone...

bluevoodoo

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2005
Hi guys!

I found this bulletin board extremely useful and since there are a lot of guys among you who seem to be quite professional,I'd ask you the question that how can I record a guitar tone like this:

Grave - Them Bones (Alice In Chains cover)

We're gonna record our debut LP with my band this year and I want a guitar tone like this on the record.Could you please help me to find out what equipment (amps,mikes,preamps,etc.) do I need to achieve it?

Thanks!

I know that they use JCM2000 DSL amps, sometimes with boss SD-1 or tubescreamers in front. They also use Jacksons with EMG's. The rest is Mr Tätgrens work, dont know what stuff he usually uses though

The ears of the engineer do most of the work. You can have great equipment and still not get a good sound. Some of these people here have mediocre gear and get great tone. If you have a POD (any version) you should be able to get a very usable tone, but make sure to lowpass/cut the fizz and don't use the built-in cab sim. There are a bunch of usefull impulses on this board (look at the stickies if you don't know the term).

Thanks guys for the answers!

I don't do line recording for rhythm guitars,I use an RME Fireface 400 interface w/ an SM57 and an MD421. (But I'm gonna record our debut LP in a proper studio through an SSL console's preamp and I'd like to know with what equipment should I enter the studio to achieve a tone so brutal :))