Individual Thought Patterns guitar tone

guitar123daniel

New Metal Member
Jul 4, 2011
Ok so I would like to know your guys opinion on how to go about trying to achieve a similar guitar tone found on Death's "Individual Thought Patterns".

My gear is as follows:

Gibson Flying V with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge
Marshall VS8080
Alesis MEQ-230

I'm not looking for a live tone, this is for recording.

When recording I was thinking about using the Nordstrom technique to record the guitar, panning the tracks with the most low end hard left and right and then the two brighter tracks about 75% left and right whilst putting a high pass filter on with my Alesis MEQ-230.

Do you think this will work/sound good?

Any settings will help too!

Cheers!

wikipedia said:
The amp he used towards the end of his career was a Marshall Valvestate (Model 8100) amp head and Valvestate 4x12 speaker cabinets on Individual Thought Patterns as well as the ITP tour, and eventually started using Marshall 1960 cabs. Before that he used various equipment including Randall RG100ES heads and Randall cabinets, and on the (In)Human Tour of the World he used a small GK 250ML miked up, despite having hollow 4x12 stacks 'for show'.

I don't really think the rhythm guitar tone on that album is all that awesome. Almost sounds like a low bitrate mp3. Dont hate it, just dont love it. With a Valvestate you'd probably get close. Would also depend on your cab/speaker config.

I would pan the low end tracks towards the center, and brighter tracks wider. Human hearing less able to process directionalty the lower the frequency blah blah blah....

Tone wise, good 'vibe' for the era, but would probably suck in a modern mix.

Am I the only one that thinks that Chuck used chorus on the rhythm guitars?

I think that is just because his playing on the later albums was very tight. Almost makes those 2 guitars sound like a single chorused one, but in a very cool way! He obviously used chorus in leads, but I'm pretty sure I've read an interview with him where he claims that his rhythm-tracks are always dead dry. Sadly, I don't remember where that was. He seemed like a very straight forward guy when it came to his choice of creative effects.

About achieving his tone: his amp has already been mentioned, and those things are pretty damn cheap (about 100-125 euros around here all the time), but this is a typical example of "tone is in the fingers" imo, so it might not get you all the way where you want to be.
And I also have to agree that eventough I think Individual Thought Patterns is the shit, I doubt that kind of tone would work for most projects, but don't feel discouraged to experiment!

I think that is just because his playing on the later albums was very tight.

Nah, besides the fact that what you say isn't even possible, if that was the case "symbolic" and "sound of perseverance" would also sound like that, which they don't. I still think there's chorus in there somewhere.

Nah, besides the fact that what you say isn't even possible, if that was the case "symbolic" and "sound of perseverance" would also sound like that, which they don't. I still think there's chorus in there somewhere.

Actually, after another close listen...I have to say you might be right. I never really noticed it, but I tried listening to the left/right channel individually in mono and it does have a certain kind of "airyness" to it. I swear, everytime I hear this album, I hear something new. Love it!

Going to have to spin this album today now. A few times. I always thought it sounded as if the guitars were quad tracked....not sure about this particular album, but Symbolic and Sounds of.....seems like there's almost always guitars going L/R even when the rest of the band is tacet, and when shit all comes in it seems another 2 guitars are layered. I could totally just be hearing things, though.

Am I the only one that thinks that Chuck used chorus on the rhythm guitars?

Empty Words website - interview circa 1993 after ITP was released said:
GS: Did you become more gear-oriented as your playing improved?
SCHULDINER: I went through a little phase when I started experimenting with some rack gear, but it didn't last long. Actually, I originally wanted to record Individual Thought Patterns with all rack equipment. I had an ADA MP-1, but when we tried to get guitar tones, I couldn't find anything I liked. Our producer, Scott Burns, recommended the new Marshall ValveState, so I tried it and thought it sounded phenomenal --especially with a little chorus. Now I use the Marshall all the time, a B.C. Rich Custom guitar, and only a few extra effects.

Yup, chorus indeed.:D

I stand corrected :D The more you know...

Btw, pretty interesting tidbit that the valvestate was recommended to him by his producer. I always figured that was more of a personal choice.

Anyway, all I can say is that I absolutely love this album to pieces. It's one of the few albums that I can listen to from start to end, while just paying attention to a single instrument in the mix, and still be blown away every time. That rhythm section man... makes me want to play airdrums and airbass at the same time!