In serious need of guitar tone.

xM4ssacre

New Metal Member
Feb 12, 2008
Hey everyone.. I can't get a metal sound at all that sounds decent. A sound like this would be great http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2798302/NEWMIX_GUITARTONE.mp3

I'm trying to record my band which is techno/hardcore.

I have pod farm, gear box, and toneport ux2.

I recorded some stuff at myspace.com/sidscottmusic by micing my crate but i don't really like the quality.

Help is much appreciated :)

Hey man.

I went to listen to your mixes on myspace, and I can already tell you what the problem is you're having, because I had it for a while there.

You need to get over the "bass and low frequencies in guitars make them heavy".

You need to boost the treble and high mids, and scoop the mids and low mids.

Bring up your bass guitar A LOT, and maybe put a little distortion to make it blend with the guitars better.

Also, you have POD Farm, and it would probably help if you got a hold of the Metal Foundry pack for it.
I have not had the privilege of using any of that yet, and my mix that you related to was recorded with a Line 6 Floor Pod.

It was just a default setting, and EQ'ed the shit out of the guitars. I also have the bass guitar cranked and EQ'ed. Also, that track is "quad tracked" - 2 guitar tracks on each side. One is hard panned, the other 50%.

This may be dual tracking, I'm not sure.

But there are 4 rhythm tracks.

Let me know if this is any help.

ALSO,
I cannot get a good tone out of a miced cab for the life of me.
That's going to be my next goal, but right now I just have a 225W Excalibur II Crate Head, and a 4x12 Crate Cab.

It sounds horrible.
So go with the Line 6 POD, definitely.
:)

Hope this helps, man.

I think you should high pass and low pass the guitars, and boost the hi mids. And as previously stated a good bass tone carries the mix, sometimes it takes awhile for us guitarists to figure that out :)

And I think what Ganks was referring to was the Metal Shop model pack, Metal Foundry is an expansion for Superior Drummer :loco:

Metal Shop Pack is definitely what I meant!

This only shows that I have never been able to use it. :(

Haha. I will one day though! Anyways, you mention high passing and low passing the guitars?
What frequencies would you recommend passing? The clip I posted was not high or low passed.

Thanks

for the tone on your myspace song, I would move the mic off the center cap of the speaker, just move it and listen through some headphones. It is really bright.

and I agree with what they told you already, a huge bass and drum sound will carry the mix better than seriously overblown guitar sound. Which will just cloud the mix

there is tons of good info here if you look around some more on these very topics