circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Inactive Messiah – Inactive Messiah
Black Lotus Records – BLRCD079 – November 30th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

inactivemessiah.jpg

Everyone’s familiar with the hot/cold dichotomy, as are Grecians Inactive Messiah. The death metallers’ debut – Inactive Messiah – is apparently structured around the principles of that same dichotomy. In other words, this album contains both abysmal material and its polar opposite. And, spending gains – ill gotten or not – on this band isn’t something I’d advise, even if your appetite for new music is voracious.

Inactive Messiah is about forty-five minutes time-wise, and the compositions touch on a variety of latent influences. One of the riffs from “T.C.D.D.” could transition into Liquid Tension Experiment’s “Acid Rain” at any time, while “Hate in Me” stares defiantly at Soul Embraced. “Mind Trap” is the absolute worst song on the disc; the chorus is awful, and exposes Inactive Messiah’s weaknesses without much effort. Thankfully, the record does begin to improve in quality with the middle’s advent. “Blossom of Paranoia” has a nice guitar lead overtop the instrumentation, though “Tell Me One Reason” fails to distance itself from its predecessor. The chuckle-garnering “Shut the Fuck Up” is actually fairly good as well, and the melodiousness of “Back to Life/Memories” breathes new life into Inactive Messiah. The closer – namely “Marble Smiling Face” – is perhaps less awe-inspiring than the caboose of an album should be.

Whatever fate holds in store for Inactive Messiah, their initiation into death metal won’t etch a slot in the masterpiece’s section, but the album houses some worthwhile moments. Also, as an added bonus, an enhanced disc plays companion to the audio CD, which holds multimedia material just waiting to be unwrapped by the rabid fan or even the casual observer. I’m mostly apathetic about it, though.

7/10

Official Inactive Messiah Website
Official Black Lotus Records Website